Coverting LHD instrument cluster from KPH to MPH

IansMusical

Hello Everyone,

I am just starting a process of converting my wife's LHD 2001 Audi A2 (first registered in Italy) for use on UK roads. Part of the legality requires that the speedometer reads in MPH (currently only KPH). Having already done some research and spoken to Steve on the forum it looks like my options are:

1) Obtain a UK cluster and re-code it to the car (although I understand the process isn't that simple, particularly with the immobilizer?)
2) Purchase an after market speedometer dial and naturally replace the existing one.

Or is it possible to replace the dial from a UK cluster and then re-code the needle position to account for 60mph and 100kph being in different places on the respective clusters?

Many thanks,

Ian

Hi Rab,

A good solution and a DIY option too

you would have to live with the kilometres on the trip meter but that is not the end of the world.

Steve B

Uk and euro meters have different spacing, just replacing the number foil without using a euro one as base will not work.

- Bret

Many thanks for all the replies, appreciated.

@RAB: Thanks I'd seen that website before and it looks the easiest method.
@Jigsaw: It's a 1.4 AUA 2000 or 2001.
@bretti_kivi: Yes I was aware of this and hence why I wondered if the needle could be re-coded if a UK dial was fitted.
@trepek: Ah so the cluster can be re-coded. Nice hacking by the way :)

It looks to me that just buying and fitting a new dial from the website is the likely cheapest and quickest option. I think I saw a guide on the forum for removing the cluster and actual needles carefully etc.

Back