Uneven tyre wear - Any point swapping wheels -

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Hit a raised manhole cover at some roadworks yesterday at about 20-25mph. Very small manhole which I think makes it worse. Sounded and felt bad.

I checked the outside of the tyres and they look OK. In for a service tomorrow so I will get them to check the inner side.

Presuming everything looks ok then I will get a wheel alignment done as the outside the of the nearside front tyre seems to be wearing more than the centre and inside. Is it worth swapping the front wheels at the same time or are modern tyres unidirectional? [front nearside rotates anti-clockwise and the front offside rotates clockwise].

Cheers

Hi Alan

If the tyre is unidirectional it will have a fairly prominent 'direction of rotation' arrow on the sidewall.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike. I now see they are marked Left and Right with a sort of chevon symbol.

Actually the garage doing the servicing did have the equipment to do tracking and so I had it done. They said it was badly out, so must of been like it for some time. Not surprising given the millions of potholes in Wiltshire and the council boasting it is saving money.

Back