anyone here up for Icetrack 2017?

bretti_kivi

Hello,

Icetrack 2017 hasn't been 100% confirmed yet, but I figured I would ask if anyone's interested.... ?

Location is probably mid-Finland, so within 200km of Kuopio. I have one of two locations in mind, both in this circle, one north of Kuopio, the other West. Date is either end Jan or mid Feb. Costs, I can't say right now... but it *will* be under €500 for 2 days of track and accommodation for four nights.
The traditional trip across works like this: Wednesday drive through Germany, on the boat at Travemünde for cast off at 0300 Thursday am. Friday 0900 arrival in Helsinki, drive up. Saturday and Sunday track time, Monday free time, Tuesday back to Helsinki for a ferry which arrives back in Germany on Wednesday at 2100 or so. Prices for the ferry just got researched and they're not too shabby at all (€244 per person including a car seems pretty good!)

I'm currently expecting quite a few A2s to turn up, along with other machines (like a BRZ, a 320i, an A8, a TT, and I don't know what else) so it's up to you what you want to bring to enjoy on the ice. You *will* need winter tyres, along with a certain amount of enjoyment of ice and snow, as it'll probably be somwehere between +1 and -35.... and there will probably be around 90cm of snow lying and 70+cm of ice on the lakes. This time around, the track is probably not going to be on a lake, as it's way too risky in terms of weather.

I haven't confirmed *anything* right now, I'm waiting on answers from a couple of people (which will directly affect the cost), but figured I'd ask the question.

If you're wondering what the weekend might entail, try this from pocoloco (who was there last time and will probably be joining us again this time): https://vimeo.com/166658508

- Bret

Ohhh now this is interesting. Is it the same deal coming from the UK or are there extra costs? and are there special prep needed for petrol/diesel cars.?

Prep-wise, it's pretty simple. Winter tyres - so something like Michelin Alpins, Conti TS870s or Nokian WR whatever they are in a size that works for you.
Antifreeze good down to -40 (which is essentially not-quite-pure G12++, if I remember correctly). If there's a dodgy battery, change it. Put a snow brush and ice scraper in. Make sure everything works. I would advise boarding the ferry with a close-to-empty tank and then filling in Finland - our diesel is generally good to around -40, continental stuff can be a problem if it's really cold.

That's about it.

For costs: that ferry price is the one to get you from northern Germany - around by Lübeck - to Helsinki. There are many ways to deal with the journey, I just happen to know that the majority of the guys will come that way on a specific boat. I think it's a return price, too.
There's the challenge of getting to Lübeck, though, and I'd suggest from northern England the Hull - Rotterdam boat, which sails at 2030 from Hull and gets in at 0815 to Rotterdam. Pricing for two sharing with one car seems to be €360 or so for that.
Having got in early, you have plenty of time to get across Holland and northern Germany to meet up with the other guys - there's 4-5 hours of drive across Holland to Travemünde. Newcastle - Amsterdam is also possible but seems to be Monday, Wednesday and Friday only, though it's cheaper. Doesn't help if you still need to grab a hotel or space to sleep in Holland, though...

For southerners, it's easier. Get on a ferry early Wednesday morning from Dover or on Tuesday evening from Harwich. Over to Calais, Hoek van Holland or Zeebrugge, and then over to Lübeck. The ferry terminal is at Skandinavienkai. (link to location in google maps)

From Helsinki (ferry terminal location link) it's around 5-6 hours of drive time northwards, but we'll be taking it easy and stopping every couple of hours to make sure there's no issues and everyone is still with us.
The return trip will work in a similar fashion; I'll provide a roadbook with meeting points and I suspect the guys will be in the same cafe on the way down (because it's extremely good!). I know the area we're possibly going to really quite well because I have access to a summer house up there. There's a small town around the corner with the usual amenities (simple store, petrol station with restaurant, cash machine), another town 10 minutes away and the "big town" (Kuopio) is 45 minutes in summer.

Does that help?

- Bret

Last edited:
Perfect. Cheers Bret, will work on the car and see if prepped in the next two weeks check the total costs. When are you looking for numbers/confirmation?

I Really wish I could be there in my DTM, Bret would you mind taking loads of lovely pictures as you usually do and videos for us to see?

Sarge

it's taken far longer than I would have liked, but the basics are now in place. I am currently throwing a couple of price points around, l will come back when I've worked out what makes sense. I will also go see the location again in a couple of weeks and then we'll hammer out the fine detail.

If someone else is up for this, I'd very much like to hear about it.

- Bret

it looks remarkably like we have an agreement for a new venue for Icetrack 2017, IT8, for the last weekend in January 2017. Track days will be 28th and 29th January. I do not yet have a signed contract, but we have agreement in principle.

The location is near Tervo, in North Savo. This is around 1 hour east of Kuopio, 50 minutes north of Suonenjoki and therefore around five hours from the ferry terminal at Vuosaari.

There is a small supermarket in Tervo and several large ones in Kuopio. Tervo also has a cashpoint, petrol station, pizzeria and various other small-town amenities; Karttula is slightly larger and around 15km away. Kuopio is a town of 100,000 and is approximately one hour's drive away. I know the area reasonably well through personal connections.

Track

As it stands, we will have two tracks, both on land, and a short (400m) runway. The tracks are 1.2 and 1.6km long. The longer one is approximately the same as the long track at Hyvinkää and a chunk longer than at Tahko. There is also a minor elevation change involved which should make things rather more interesting. Trees are a significant distance from the track.

Accommodation

Accommodation will be at Lohimaa - www.lohimaa.fi - and the track is theirs.

As a result of previous experiences, all accommodation will include both linen and end cleaning.

A package - the 2-day food package - will be made available which includes breakfast, morning and afternoon coffee, and a buffet lunch on both Saturday and Sunday, at a package price of €75. It does not include dinner on any evening.

Those who wish to cater for themselves are free to do so. The intent is to provide catering opportunities in each cottage / room, along with some form of common communal area (probably in the log hotel).

My current hope is that our known group leaders will return, as will our two marshals. I will confirm this just as soon as I can.

I am well aware that the prices listed on the home page for cottages are cheaper. I am listing a "worst case" and though it is eminently possible the pricing can change for the better, I need accurate attendee numbers for those discussions.

Pricing

Pricing for IT8 has changed significantly from previous iterations.

I still need to confirm final pricing, but I expect it to be such that track costs are €200 per car and accommodation between €40 and €50 per head per night. Solid attendee numbers are needed to confirm those accommodation prices.

Based on the higher pricing, therefore:

- car + driver, 4 nights + 2-day food package = €475
- car + driver, 4 nights = €400
- passenger, 4 nights + 2-day food package = €275
- passenger, 4 nights = €200

For locals:
- car + driver, 2 nights + 2-day food package = €375
- car + driver, 2 nights = €300

You will need to add on fuel for at least 450kms each way in Finland, food, ferry from Travemünde to reach Helsinki on 27th January and other small additions.

Many details are still to be confirmed. I expect to be up north in a couple of weeks to start ironing out details. Additional activities are available, for example Skidoo on Monday. The traditional timetable is extremely likely to still be valid:

- Wednesday drive across Germany. Arrive Lübeck / Travemünde ca. 2000
- Check in around 2200 at the ferry
- Thursday 0300 ferry departs
- Friday 0900 ferry arrives in Helsinki
- Leave Vuosaari after regroup and short supermarket visit for those who need to stock up.
- Drive to Tervo. Total drive time is around 5h. Helsinki - Hartola is ca. 2h, lunch in Hartola. 2h to Suonenjoki, 1h from Suonenjoki to Tervo. I would expect to be at the accommodation before 6. It is significantly closer than Tahko and the roads are better for longer.
- Evening sauna and refreshments
- Saturday 0900 Track time start.
- Saturday evening sauna and refreshments
- Sunday 0900 Track time start.
- Sunday afternoon locals leave
- Sunday evening sauna and refreshments
- Monday time for activities (e.g. Skidoo, fishing, snowshoe walking....)
- Tuesday morning leave early (0800) towards Helsinki for arrival at Vuosaari before 1500.

Any questions, please let me know. Along with if you'd like to join us....

- Bret

... and if you're seriously interested, it's time to make a decision, as the seriously cheap pricing on the ferry ends at the end of the month, so it needs booked....

- Bret

So I'd like to confirm the pricing: €50 per night and €200 for track. Please let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

- Bret

... and the track location in relation to the hotel. Orange is the runway, yellow the longer track, red the shorter one.

25672452_c7811c9c7d2be534b5c1142757826014_large.jpg

- Bret

Just want to say thanks for your efforts to bring the offer onto this forum Bret, I'm not sure anyone is going from here?!, but I wish I was :)

Sarge

let's see... there were a couple of PNs sent earlier today, I hope to get some positive reaction. Still need to send a couple more...

- Bret

Hi Bret,

Please count on me. I have sent a PM to you.
I'm going to follow the threads on the German club forum as well ...

Thanks,
Norbert

I'm just going to leave this here.. man, I want to get back on the ice again....

[video=vimeo;154294910]https://vimeo.com/154294910[/video]

- Bret

Last edited:
Back