Experimental LED Tail Lights

KekseKaempfer

A2OC Donor
Finally got around to drilling some holes in a taillight, as i had a few moments spare

Points to note.

1. I used Orange LEDs. I haven't got any red or white at the moment and they would need to be brighter.
2. No attempt to curve the insert so that it is flush with the face of the lens.
3. Spot heating with a heatgun causes bubbling of the polycarbonate insert, so oven heat would be more applicable

More refinement required:
29475576870_fb2c299f52_z.jpg

Might it be an option: OSRAM LED Premium Retrofit PY21W, Amber, 7557YE-01B ?

Nope, just a 10mm perspex rod bent around a bit of wood. With notches cut in it to reflect the light. Silver foil on the back to try and stop light filling the whole lens. My idea was to provide a 'ring' of LED and then have a regular stop bulb in the normal place.

It's possible to purchase strip LED's in various colours. They are flexible and can even give sequential flashing. I think that I'm now going to completely re-design the rear light clusters to full LED arrays. The tail-lights will be a multi-level grid array of individual LED's. Similar for the brake-lights. The indicators will, however, consist of the Amber, flexible strip type. They are available in various lengths, so long enough to give a similar "u"-shape, as shown in this thread, would be perfect!. Thanks for providing yet another great idea!

David

I have now made a wooden former for the curve and angle, and am going to try bending a new insert at some point when I get time.

Why not simply use the flexible LED strips in a silicone-tube design? They are available in various lengths and also in different colours. I have them fitted inside my headlights and they contain dual rows of LED's :- white for DRL function and amber for indicator function. I'm sure that they would work in the rear-light unit?

David

It's very difficult getting the right shape. And I have not had time to do an alternative arrangement, but it is still on my todo list. I don't tend to rush things.

Chris

Back