Audi Navigation Plus

leehallum

A2OC Donor
Hello,

Another of the 'wants' on my to-do list is to fit a Navigation Plus unit. I currently have a Symphony II unit with the built in 6 disc changer, so I think the unit size should be a straight swap.

Does anyone have any experience of installing one of these? is it a straight forward head unit swap or do I need to consider anything else?

Please let me know if anyone has done this and what would be involved, I think it would be a nice upgrade to try and do.

And is there a specific model for the Navigation Plus to look for?... I was guessing one from an A3/A4 around the same year (2003/2004)?

Thanks

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...Double-DIN-Dash-Retrofit&highlight=navigation

Good write up from Matt there which may answer some of your questions. I think you'll find the consensus being navigation plus (RNS-D) is old hat and if you're embarking on this option you should go for the newer RNS-E. You can get software updates for 7 digit postcode input which makes it more user friendly than the unit in my former 2012 Audi Q5.

Personal view - Google navigation on a smartphone is infinity better but the Audi unit is a neat OE toy to have in your car.

I can see just by the amount of pins on the red connector that the loom is suitable for BOSE and NON BOSE systems and coming from a symphony as opposed to an RNS-D which uses a different diversity connection.

You will need to run a cable from the cluster to the RNS-E for speed pulses coming from a symphony II. The RNS-D wiring has that, but the symphony II doesn't.

It is a good alternative, but some people prefer sticking with Audi and so the RNSE is also a good option.

Steve B

No Steve. As was from the A6 it came from. The screen coating has been removed and is in perfect condition.

you've said this :- "The screen coating has been removed and is in perfect condition."

On my RNS-E unit, the anti-reflective coating has been compromised. There is an area which is scratched and worn away. I wonder if you can let me know how you removed that coating? I've also seen on Ebay an adhesive panel that can be applied to the clear screen?
Anyway, I'm sure that it could be improved ..... Thanks.

David

Hi David. I believe I just lubricated it and rubbed it very gently but there is guidance on the forum somewhere as to how to do it properly. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will pop along to give the full answer.

Back