Ahoy A2OC

lsdc

Dear All;

I have admired A2 for many years, and lurked on A2OC on occasion.

Due to car-vs-cow incident (dark night, black cow in middle of country road...), my old A6 Avant (52, 1.9TDI, 170k) has been written off (same for cow :-[ )

With available funds, I looked at my options (few...), except I now had the chance to....

I now have 02 A2 1.4 Petrol, 4 seat, Dolphin Grey, 16" 6-spoke, Bose, (working!) OSS, rear false floor.
No DIS, no rear electric windows, old-style wiper.
(some high end bits on generally low spec car?)

89k miles. A lot of history; cambelt and water pump done 30k ago.

The first time I sat in an A2, was the test-drive to buy it....

First impressions:
Great driving position, slightly elevated.
I got the impression of a much lighter car in the response to the road, acoustics are different.
Ride is firm, but not excessive. Seems to corner well (but a bit of a mixed bunch of budget tyres at present), but I have not pushed it.
I will need to change my driving style (TDI made me lazy?) to use the engine revs.
(Whoever said that in an A2, any car in the rear view mirror looks like an A2 is on to something...)
There is a holistic integrity to the overall design. It is just satisfying.

(I wanted the TDI, as I love the sound - "half a porsche" - but alas nothing available that I was happy with in my budget; oh I am sad enough to have listened to the engine sound on youtube...)

"Personality" to date:
"Milky" wheel cap surrounds. Saw them straightaway. I can live with that. (would like pepperpots one day)
Woke up to find hazards flashing, no alarm. Did some reading here, and have ordered a new flasher relay. Start with the cheap stuff.
Car has the wrong size battery which cannot be secured with the dedicated mechanism, could move about. Just a shame.
Starter motor noise after starting. Apparently common. Not too bad....
Car emits some belt-type noise from engine bay; engine itself seems happy enough (must check oil!).

With its form from function design and the quality of the paint, it looks a worth a lot more than I paid.
It makes many other cars from that era look so dated.
I am happy to have bought a car from the future.

This community (and its knowledgebase) is one reason why I felt comfortable buying the (not so new now) car.

So just to say Hi.

Leo

Hi Leo

Welcome to the A2 owners club. It sounds like you have been bitten by the A2 bug already.

By now you should have received a pm (private message) containing lots of useful information about the club.*

You can access this by clicking on the word 'Notifications' at the very top of this page.**

It looks like this if you are viewing in the desktop site

db4eo.jpg

Or by clicking on the envelope symbol if you are using tapatalk

5o8bhu.jpg

I hope you find it a friendly place to be with lots of useful information.*

Best wishes

Steve

(A2Steve) Club Secretary

Hey Leo
Welcome from another noobie

We also had to adapt our driving as you mentioned, previous car was a Polo TDI sport
It does seem the little 1.4 petrol motor is happier with a few more revs

Dave

Hey Leo
Welcome from another noobie

We also had to adapt our driving as you mentioned, previous car was a Polo TDI sport
It does seem the little 1.4 petrol motor is happier with a few more revs

Dave

Yes, when I first drove a 1.4 petrol A2 after being used to the TDI A2, I stalled it constantly because I was expecting the torque of the diesel.

But once you get used to it they do like the revs and the petrol engines are so quiet I was never sure if it was still running on tickover.

Steve B

thanks for the welcome and comments.

I tried to replace relay (incidentally, this is now made in GB): got the tray out eventually, but currently unable to release the connector
(I read lots of frustrations in this regard).
Will try again, when I have more time.

oh, and passenger cup holder is kaput. another task.

very happy with the car and the club!

Leo

Welcome - pretty new myself here and you will probably find the modding bug will bite as well. Already got me :D

-Andy

Back