FSi slow and EML light on

Phunk

My FSI engine light has come on and drives very slowly, feels like 50hp!

Occasionally when coming up to motorway speed the EML starts flashing too.

I've just bought the car from a dealer, but it's 300 miles away!

Any ideas where to start?

My FSI engine light has come on and drives very slowly, feels like 50hp!

Occasionally when coming up to motorway speed the EML starts flashing too.

I've just bought the car from a dealer, but it's 300 miles away!

Any ideas where to start?
The first thing that you need to do is to have the car scanned for errors.

There are many reasons why this could happen anbd so it is important to pin it down to the actual cause.

Without this you will find that you could easily pay hundreds of pounds replacing poartrs that are not actually the cause.

I don't know if we have any members close enough to offer some help?

Steve B

The first thing you need to do, is speak to the dealer you bought it from.

Since it is far away, you need to decide if you want the added hassle of taking it back to them, or getting them to retrieve the vehicle. How long have you had it for?

FSI's have a lot of sensors on the engine and can throw codes if anything is not doing what it is supposed to.

How slow is slow? Is it in limp home mode (struggles to hit 50mph), or is it sluggish, or juddering?

A diagnostic scan will help pinpoint what is wrong, do you have AA membership (or similar) they will scan vehicles now and it can be the easiest option to help you with your issue.

Thanks for the speedy replies.

It will hit 80/90, but it's slow to get there.

I'm based in Glasgow and I got the car from Northampton. Literally bought it today and the problem happened on the journey home.

Will a £20 Amazon code reader do the job or will it need to be someone with VAGCOM?

I'm happy to help Phunk. I have the full scanner I'm in Lothian.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

That's a very kind offer! I'm popping over to the Tartan Tarmac meet this morning hoping someone might bring one. If not I'll drop you a PM.

Thanks, would be good to speak to a fellow a2 owner too!

Also the fsi engine runs terrible on regular unleaded, always use premium fuel, I use vpower from shell or tesco momentum and it runs really nice. In my experience a flashing eml is a miss fire, I've had this and it's either been a nackerd ignition coil of injector!

Been running it on vpower since I got it.

Really annoyed about this, I'd take it back but the dealer is 350 miles away.

Mrbroons- sent you a P.M.

Thanks very much to mrbroons, the results are in!

4 Faults Found:

17748 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

P1340 - 35-00 - Incor. Correlation

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0300 - 35-10 - - Intermittent

16686 - Cylinder 2

P0302 - 35-10 - Misfire Detected - Intermittent

16725 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)

P0341 - 35-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

I think I'll start with replacing the cylinder coilpack and G50 Camshaft position sensor and work from there.

Thanks again all!

Swap the easy things like coils and sparkplugs but i can almost guarantee it will be a faulty injector. My car does the same, ive had the injectors tested and one is faulty so im waiting for them to come back so i can refit them and hopefully have a fully functioning car again.

shaun5: Have you already ruled out the Camshaft position sensor (G50)? It seem more logical as a root cause.

shaun5: Have you already ruled out the Camshaft position sensor (G50)? It seem more logical as a root cause.

ive changed all sparkplugs and a couple coils as i had missfires on 2 cylinders. That cured one cylinder missfire. I cleaned the inlet manifold so whilst in there i removed the injectors and had them tested and one was faulty. Number 4 where my missfire was.

Would a camshaft position sensor cause a missfire on only 1 cylinder?

I've changed all the spark plugs and the coil on cylinder 2.

I noted the the spark plug on cylinder 3 was pretty black.

However it runs much better now, faster and smoother.

It notably picks up above 3k revs, but I think that might be how FSi s are.

It still has a slight iratic idle (see video below) is this normal?

Will the EML turn itself off or will I need it reset?

Video:

https://stuarthatch.wistia.com/medias/0k9iys79eo

Think it must be an injector as it's still dog slow. On top of that, the climate control is now constantly set to 'bone melt' hot. :mad:

Can any recommend a garage in the Glasgow area to look at it?

Just had the report back from A for Audi following a compression test:

Cylinders 2 and 4 are showing compressions of 110 and 150 respectively. Ideally need to take the head off and investigate further!

Looks like I'm returning the car to the dealer :(

Back