Bonnet Across Britain - the Journey

YorkshireHill

A2OC Donor
As you know we are starting a fund-raising event called Bonnet Across Britain. We're now in a position to give you more details on how the event is going to work.

Bonnet Across Britain … the bullet points

Aims – fund-raising, fun & friendship. Meet other members, have a laugh, help raise funds for a good cause

The start – the bonnet begins its year long journey at ADI, Castle Combe, Wiltshire on Saturday 15 October 2016. How far can it travel in 365 days? We’re looking for people to volunteer to take the bonnet on their travels. Driving from Dorking to Doncaster? Bring the bonnet and leave it with another member. Where it goes is up to where you go…

Charity donations – we put four charities to a vote and the Club chose ‘The Association of Air Ambulances’. All the money we raise will go towards making sure the Air Ambulances keep flying from one corner of the UK to the other. We’ll be collecting money at various events organised by members plus setting up a Just-Giving page so you can donate from the comfort from your own mobile phone. Or tablet device. Or for the old school amongst you, your Windows XP PC. (other outdated operating systems are available). We’ll be posting more information about how you can give, where you can give and how much you can give, once the bonnet gets moving.

Signing the bonnet – the Club has bought special pens with metallic ink which will stick to the painted surface. Sign your User Name & Location to make your mark on our historic bonnet and show that you supported this worthy cause.

Transporting the bonnet – although bonnets normally go on the front of the car, this one goes in the boot (with the seats down)! We are making a box for the bonnet to protect it in transit and to protect your precious A2 from damage.

The journey – We’ve planned out the first three weeks of the bonnet’s travels. From ADI it will be making its way to Stoke and then onto Leeds. After Yorkshire it is going to Scotland. Where it goes then, is entirely up to you. We’re not looking for people to make a special trip, but if you are doing a journey for work, or to see relatives, please volunteer to take the bonnet with you and leave it with another member in that area. Use the forum to connect with people in the area you’re going to. We’re hoping that members will organise mini-socials to get together, meet new friends, raise funds and talk A2s.

End-point ADI 2017 – After a journey of what could be many thousand miles, the bonnet will reach its final destination at next year’s social at Audi Driver’s International. If there is any space left, this will be your last chance to sign it and add your User name to this historic A2 artefact.

Auction – finally our bonnet, defaced with your signatures will be offered for sale to the highest bidder (hopefully for much more than the scrap value). With all money going to the good cause.

How you can get involved RIGHT NOW…
We’re not asking you to make any promises. We’re not even asking you for any cash at this moment. What we are asking for is for you to pledge your support to get involved. So ‘Like’ this post and we will contact you with further information once the bonnet gets going.

Thank you from the Bonnet Team

Last edited:
We now have a fund-raising page…

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/BonnetacrossBritainA2OC

It's easy to donate. Go to the page and follow the instructions to make a payment by card or Paypal. Our contributions will be directly transferred to the charity.

We are raising money for the Association of Air Ambulances which is a charity supporting ALL of the twenty one Air Ambulance services in the UK.

Our donations will be divided evenly between all of them.

We’ll also be collecting money at ADI, other socials and events.

Please let me know if there are any problems with the link to the fund-raising page or if you would like any further information about donating to the cause.

Thank you for supporting A2OC’s Bonnet Across Britain

Hilary

The bonnet has started the first leg of its journey.

It's attended ADI and is on its way north with Rob to Staffordshire, then Yorkshire and crossing the border into Scotland.

Here's my photo :) and my donation has been paid.

r6zqti.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Steve

Congratulations to you Hillary and Zippy for making this great charity event off the ground.

Hopefully we can all get behind this and raise lots of money for this very worthy charity.

Remember that you can also contribute even if you are not able to take part in the bonnet handover (although it is quite easy to do!)

Check out the details of the competition (soon to be posted). The prize is well worth having a go and your money goes direct to the charity !!!

Hipefully the target we have set will look tiny at the end as we smash that easily.

Steve B

Just a suggestion: Perhaps the bonnet could be put on the owners car (Fitted in place of original one) to get a picture taken on the car, then removed and passed on? this way is can be logged on it's journey

Sarge

Yes Sarge that's tge plan :)

With a photo added to the thread followed by a donation.

Reactions: AJB
No Sarge you are right,just read through and I don't think it's mentioned.

When a member receives the bonnet you will also have a black satchel that contains the instructions. One of these is that you take a photo of your car with the bonnet on and post it to this thread. That way we should get a load of scenic photos of all parts of the country.

Rob is up next with a photo of Staffordshire. Perhaps even one of the WOM workshop.

Thanks again Rob for getting the bonnet so far north in one hit.

Last edited:
The Bonnet will be travelling on from Staffordshire on Friday and we have an event planned for its arrival in Yorkshire...

'Bonnets, Bacon & Banter'
on Sunday 23 October
from 10 am
at YorkshireHill's house in Leeds

We'll be signing the bonnet & supporting the charity. A2 banter with bacon & mushroom rolls, tea & coffee

We have room for a few more A2s and would love to see some more members here. So please send me a PM if you would like to join us

Hilary, Special Edition & chb

The bonnet has started the first leg of its journey.

It's attended ADI and is on its way north with Rob to Staffordshire, then Yorkshire and crossing the border into Scotland.

Here's my photo :) and my donation has been paid.

r6zqti.jpg

Great photo Steve and the first of many we hope

Sarge - you're right about photographing the bonnet on the owners' cars. We have included the request for a photo on the thread with the pack that is accompanying the bonnet

One more thing to add though...

Please let us know by PM the mileage the bonnet travels. We'll keep an exact log although the destinations will be known from the thread

My journey is the next... from Staffordshire to Yorkshire on Friday (in the Grey2 with a new turbo!)

Hilary

Thinking about it, the A2 is probably the 'only' car that the bonnet across Britain could ever been done on! :)

The Bonnet will be travelling on from Staffordshire on Friday and we have an event planned for its arrival in Yorkshire...

'Bonnets, Bacon & Banter'
on Sunday 23 October
from 10 am
at YorkshireHill's house in Leeds

We'll be signing the bonnet & supporting the charity. A2 banter with bacon & mushroom rolls, tea & coffee

We have room for a few more A2s and would love to see some more members here. So please send me a PM if you would like to join us

Hilary, Special Edition & chb

Anyone else like to join in with this mini Bonnet social?

We'll have at least five A2s here and room for more

Let me know by PM

Thanks

Hilary

Do you need tea bringing over? Sadly no i3 or A2 available (slightly embarrassed at current courtesy car).

CC1 still at home. Sans MOT, bargain on Ebay if tempted! i3 at JCT600 waiting for a new generator (till mid November, backorder)...so I am slumming it in a 330 M-sport for a month and a bit courtesy of BMW UK. Pity they can't provide an EV, it's like Henry Ford giving people a horse and cart when their Model-T broke down.

Back