Engine cuts out when reverse is selected (manual)

wiffers

Hello

My wife has the 1.4 petrol (X reg), manual gearbox.

Sometimes, when reverse is selected (clutch depressed), the warning light appears on the dash and it beeps momentarily.

However last night it got worse. As soon as reverse was selected (note manual box) the engine cut out. Thinking I perhaps lifted the clutch, I restarted the engine, selected first (clutch depressed) OK, selected second (clutch depressed) OK, select reverse (clutch depressed) - engine cut off.

Happened quite a few times.

Any idea what's doing it?

I'm thinking perhaps a brokwn sensor that stops the car going in reverse when moving forrd or something clever like that. Anyway I can get this working (or bypass whatever it's doing?)

Thanks

I'm 99% sure the reverse light switch does nothing more than activate the reversing light so can't see what the connection is between the engine cutting out and selecting reverse.
There is a bit of info in this thread regarding the location of the switch on the petrol gearbox. I'd be tempted to remove the connector and see if it makes any difference to the stalling - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...placement-on-a-1-4-petrol&p=152856#post152856

Cheers Spike

Cool I'll have a read cheers. :) looks a pain to get at.

There must be something that connects the gear selector to computer....

Back