The MOST WANTED addition...the Rear Cup Holder!!

Ruggie

Hi Folks

Well I've splashed the cash and purchased a brand new, gorgeous, Rear Cup Holder from Audi UK with a rear bracket and two screws! Probably the last ones available hence the reason for paying a ridiculous amount of money for it compared to its original price back in 1999.

I'm sure that they will show on here and Ebay from time to time but the thing that seems to be missing more and more so are the brackets.

I'm missing the front bracket.

I've been in contact with Depronman concerning purchasing the rear bracket clips and also asked whether he would be prepared to try and 3D print a front bracket, which he has kindly agreed to do. The only thing is he needs both the cup holder and a front bracket to try and copy.

Is there anyone on the site that is prepared to loan Depronman their front bracket for research and copying purposes. If you are, I'll send Depronman my cup holder to marry up the two parts to ensure near perfection.

I'm sure that there will be more and more parts that we will not be able to get in time and think that the service to the group by Depronman will become invaluable. Thanks Depronman!!

Cheers
Ruggie

Hi Ruggie,
I am sure I still have a brand new front bracket, bought as a 'just in case' moment, I'd be happy to lend it out if it helped other members out. Drop me a PM and we can discuss where it needs to go!
I will double check later but 99% sure I have it in my A2 archives haha!
Cheers Jeff

Have just been lucky enough to win the opportunity to buy one of these from Steve, I have a front bracket available as I have not installed in the car just yet. I can lend it to the project if Jeff cant find it in his archives! I wish I had similar archives!

Hi Ruggie,
I am sure I still have a brand new front bracket, bought as a 'just in case' moment, I'd be happy to lend it out if it helped other members out. Drop me a PM and we can discuss where it needs to go!
I will double check later but 99% sure I have it in my A2 archives haha!
Cheers Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

I'll PM you. (sounds rude!)

Cheers
Ruggie

Well the front bracket CAD file was a success, and after a little clean up due to the support material it was trail fitted to the car and guess what, it fitted and the cup holder clipped into place and was held in place as it should be. It released ok when the button was pressed.
What more can I say - success
The CAD model was a son of a b***h to model as there is not a single flat surface on the bracket, just curves in both direction - well it was a great learning experience.
There is a small error with one of the two small holes that can be seen looking down through the cubby hole in the centre console. I'm not sure what these holes are actually for, but they align with holes in the centre console. If they are meant to have a self tapper or similar to prevent the bracket being removed then a new hole can be drilled in the bracket. The original brackets holes don't line up either :)

Some pictures attached, apologies for the quality they where taken on my phone in less then ideal light conditions

The original bracket as some thin felt glued to the top surface which is visible when the bracket is fitted and the cup holder is not, I'm not sure if this is necessary, but it may stop the odd squeak.

I will get the cup holder and the loan bracket packaged up and in the post on Tuesday

RCH1.jpgRCH2.jpgRCH3.jpgRCH4.jpgRCHclipfitted.jpgRCHCompare.jpgRCHfitted.jpgRCHoriginal.jpg

Good result Paul... well done !. Its good to know that the front cup holder bracket is now available for members to buy if they need one...... Very much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave:)

This is great. Well done Paul. Really good to see technology like this being put to good use that helps out fellow enthusiasts and the up-keep/modification of our unique vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am building up a collection of 3D printed parts for the A2 some are parts which are no longer available other I just made because it was quicker / cheaper to print one than go to the stealers for one

Available parts -
Glove Box light switch repair actuator
Fuse panel cover clips x 2 and fuse tool remover clip
Plastic end for the dipstick (enables the repair of your original dipstick)
Under engine panel mounting lugs for the rear centre section (allows the use of a large self tapper to screw into the plastic printed insert)
In file panel for the dashboards cubby hole to incorporate a Aux 12 volt socket, Phone mount and Blue Tooth unit
Rear drinks holder - Rear clips X2
Rear drinks holder - Front bracket

Anyone interested in any of the above or any other parts then feel free to PM me

Cheers,

Hi Paul

I'd be interested in the Rear Drinks Holder - front bracket.....lol :)

That's fantastic news and a job well done!

Thanks for your time and effort in sorting this problem. Hopefully there are other members that will benefit from your service.

Cheers
Ruggie

Ps Thanks Jeffers66 for the loan of your front bracket. Most helpful. :)

Last edited:
Just to echo the positive comments from everyone else; fantastic job Paul, great to see innovation technology (in keeping with the ethos of the car) and craftsmanship of this calibre keeping parts of the A2 'alive'.

Top work and hats off to you Sir.

1) In file panel for the dashboards cubby hole to incorporate a Aux 12 volt socket, Phone mount and Blue Tooth unit
2) Rear drinks holder - Rear clips X2
3) Rear drinks holder - Front bracket

Hi Paul,
First of all, great job!
I'm interested in these parts listed above.
I'd like to see a picture of nº1. if you have one.
Also, are brackets universal for the rear cup holder? I mean, is there only one type of rear cup holder?

Thanks,
Diego.

Thanks Paul!
I'll have a look to find out wich version my cup holder is, then I'll let you know.
Do you keep item (1) .stl archive? if yes, would you mind sharing it? I might have it 3D-printed nearby my office.
Thank you!

Regards,
Diego

I had a hard drive crash and lost a small number of Atlanta files unfortunately this was one of them

I was looking in the workshop for something and I found a printed part that you wanted
I will take a photo for you and upload tomorrow
Cheers Paul

Back