Information No fuel to engine

KIBOURED

Hi, I have a 1.4TDi 2001. The car stopped, then started again, then a little while later did the same. Eventually it stopped altogether and was recovered to a general garage for repairs. They said the fuel pump on the engine was faulty so another was purchased second hand from a working motor. It was fitted and still not working, now he says it's the injectors. To cut a long story short I didn't think the mechanic knew what he was doing so we took the car home. I have since looked at the pump and I cannot see any fuel coming in or out of it. I own another 90 Tdi and this has the distinct sound of an electronic pump coming from the rear, especially heard when the rear seats are folded forward or out. Having read the forums people are saying there is no electric pump of the A2 Diesel so I am getting very confused. Does anyone have experience of this issue. Should I expexct to see fuel pumping from the main camshaft pump, or, how do i get fuel up to this pump, which in my mind seems to be the problem. Do you think the fuel filter at the rear of the vehicle is blocked? Any assitance would be great fully received. Rich

Electric fuel pump is on top of the tank. Tandem pump is at the front. Filter is in the middle.

What has been done? Do you *know* that the filter is OK? Was it maybe recently changed? there's a tendency to break the housing... which introduces air into the system.

Any obvious leaks under the car?

- Bret

Hi Bret, thanks for getting back to me. To be honest, I purchased this TDi recently as a support vehicle to my other two A2's but when I picked it up it was so nice I decided to put it back on the road, hense I don't know its history well. If the electric pump is working should I be able to hear it? I shall remove the filter as it could well be blocked. The thing is, should I expect to see diesel being pumped up to the Tandem pump or does that pump suck up the fuel up. Before I start stripping everything I thought I would get a 'head up' opinion so I can concentrate my efforts. Some people say there is an electric pump at the tank, others say not, referring to it as a sender unit only for the fuel gauge. There are no leaks coming from the car. Appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. Rich

Back