DasWiesel´s little black dress

DasWiesel

Hi everyone!

Just picked up a new familiy member. I´m so happy right now! It´s a black 1,4 petrol from 2001 and despite it´s age and a lot of kilometres it is in a pretty good and healthy condition.
There are some usual beauty issues (soft-touch-paint), but it has full service history and, believe it or not, "broken sky roof" is already renewed and working! :D
There´s almost everything to feel comfortable - heated leather sports seats, electric windows all around, big DIS, Bose sound.
Asked Audi for new foam pad, as the drivers seat is a little down. Guess what, they´re already calling 150€ for it! :eek: I think that can be done cheaper.
Still have to get used to the rear end, I admit. Not sure yet, if I like it or not...

Apart from that, I already ordered several new parts which will be delivered within next week.

Can´t wait for it! :cool:

A2schwarz001.jpg

A2schwarz002.jpg

A2schwarz003.jpg

A2schwarz004.jpg

A2schwarz005.jpg

A2schwarz006.jpg

A2schwarz007.jpg

It looks fantastic
Your English is excellent. I had to double check to see where you are from despite the D on the reg plate which obviously is Germany.

Thanks a lot, guys!

Yes, rear end is projektzwo, I even got the original certificates. ;)
Meanwhile, the car is registered in my name and got new (smaller) plates. Pictures will follow.

Some things still need to be done.
First of all, I had some trouble with the lights. When I was driving the car home the first time, I already had the same repeating error message in the DIS, that some light wouldn´t work.
I knew the former owner had installed a light sensor made by Valeo. When I opened up the drivers side below the light switch, I saw this :eek:

Everything was connected by using - well, in German they´re called "Stromdieb", which could be translated as "power-thief". :D I believe in English they are called "wire-tap connector", right?
There was even one at the OBD connector.

For my personal taste, this is highly unprofessional. I just can´t bare those in my car, so everything had to go at once.
All damaged wires had been insulated again, but my dipped beam was still out of order.
I dismantled the light switch completely and the fault was quickly found as you can see in the pictures. Luckily I had a left over switch core and everything could be assembled again.
Lights are working fine again - no errors! :cool:

Hi Julian, nice A2, and good troubleshooting.

In U.K. English, "bare" always means naked: the spelling you want is "bear" ;)

All the best, Andrew

Last edited:
Yes, I was so sure it´s not spelled like "the bear" and didn´t looked it up. Anyway thanks for your correction, it will help me to remember it. :)
Apropos "the bear", did you know the German translation "Bär" can be also used for what you might call in English "beaver"? Seems like we´ve come the full circle here to "naked". :D

Back to topic! Did some shopping at Audi and Christmas seems to be early for me this year. Looking forward to a nice weekend of tinkering around!

Oh dear, beavers killed this thread! :p :p

Well, on with the true topic. Managed to do some little improvements again.

My car, as so many others, had terribly worn soft touch panels and switches. I started at the drivers door. New switches were ordered from China, 24€ for all for doors around. We´ll see how long they last. I´ve kept the original Audi switch for now, just to be safe.

Those symbols for the mirror switch were missing. Simply ordering a new one wasn´t possible, as Audi doesn´t sell it as a single part for the A2. I figured out, it´s sold as a single part for A3 and thought it would be worth to give it a try.
As you may already assume, it did not fit at all. Symbol positions and dimensions are all slightly different. Being already a little frustrated, i sawed it to pices, made a template of the needed part outline and glued the separated symbols on a piece of thin, white styrene by using clear 2-part Epoxy.

After having that finished I removed the drivers door panel to dismantle the window switch.
I was quite surprised to find the original mirror symbols underneath it. :rolleyes:

Before I began to put everything together again, I took pure alcohol to remove all the soft-touch paint from the switch holder. It worked like a treat.

I´m pretty happy with my result!

Sad day, yesterday. My car had a complete breakdown right on a access to the motorway. Even the mobile mechanic arriving half an hour later couldn´t revive it.
Probably the worst smart phone picture ever, but I wasn´t really in the mood for taking nice ones:

A2schwarz017.jpg

Arrived late at home when it was already very dark.

A2schwarz018.jpg

If anything an A2 should not be known for having a breakdown! Massive abuse of confidence by my car! I´m hugely disappointed! :mad:

Finally back on the road again!
Spend weeks for sorting out the problem by using VCDS and disconnecting and reconnecting several ECUs in the car.
In the end I was sure the engine ECU was faulty and bought another used one, as Audi wants an arm an leg for a new ECU.
I really tried hard to get all working again, but after several software problems (updating VCDS, updating Windows, complete laptop breakdown, faulty OBD adapter,...) I gave up!
Forget about all that "fantastic" CAN-Commander trash that´s sold on Ebay, it´s not working at all. I couldn´t read the Eeprom, so I didn´t get any login code for my used Ecu and make it match with the cluster.

Car was towed to Audi and 200€ later I had a running engine again! :D

While working on it, I broke that plastic cover below the windsreen - it was really very cold.
Wasn´t really that angry though, because I wanted to switch to the new model nozzles anyway, now I had a reason! :cool:

A2schwarz019.jpg

After a little research, I decided to try the newer 3-jet-nozzles of Audi´s A6 4G
As they are a little different to those of A2, you need adapters to make them fit. As far as I know, there are 2 different versions for A4 and A6. Officially A4 adapters are for steel and A6 are for aluminium bonnets and the only difference between them is the thickness of the material they can grab and snap into (hope that´s understandable).
I orderes both, as the are rather cheap and ended up with A6 parts, as they are for thicker material and fitted nicely.
Here´s the parts list:

1x 8Z1 819 403 E 01C screen cover
1x 4G0 995 887 heated nozzle
1x 4G0 955 888 heated nozzle
2x 4F0 955 431 adapter
2x 8E0 973 202 2-pin-connector
2x 3C0 972 741 wire sealing
2x N 907 647 01 terminal

I was still surprised, Audi is charging almost 20€ for the connectors only!

Anway, time to start! I love this little tool! Probably one of my cheapest but best investments ever. :D

A2schwarz020.jpg

A6 adapter from the backside
A2schwarz021.jpg

Left and right nozzle can´t be mixed up. The connections for the water hose are in a slightly different position and are matching the cover.
A2schwarz022.jpg

Next problem was about the body-work itself. Old-model A2´s are missing recesses for the water connection. Without them, the nozzles won´t fit and pop out again at once.
A2schwarz023.jpg

I was lucky to have my sisters new-model-A2 right next to mine. I had a look at hers and transferred the position of the needed recesses to my screen cover.
A2schwarz024.jpg

Recesses were cut with my little Proxxon mini drill and all edges were rounded of a little and got some black paint.
A2schwarz025.jpg

I recently had ordered some ceramic spray. It is reputed to lubricate and prevent corrosion from -30 up to 140°C.
Thought I should give it a try and hopefully the wiper arm can be dismantled more easy next time.
Electric connection was made - which is a convict labour as long as you don´t have the right, awfully expensive crimping pliers. And no, I don´t have any. :(
A2schwarz026.jpg

Finally everything was assembled again, nozzles were adjusted by using a small 0,7 mm drill.
I am so very satisfied with the outcome. At last I have truly working nozzles and no more sparsly spitting wannabes :cool:
A2schwarz027.jpg

Back