2001 A2 1.4 AUA LHD 83000 miles Oil leak from undertray/sump?

IansMusical

I've noticed a few drips of oil coming from the undertray. Jacked it up and removed the drivers side wheel and could see that the undertray is wet around the sump area. In fact the sump itself is quite manky but the block upwards is dry. The sensor at the bottom of the sump and its wire are very oily.

Has the sump gasket gone or where that sensor connects to the sump or is this a bigger problem?

Many thanks.

if the sump is oily in the back off the engine my money is on the carter breeding system.
if the sump is oily in the front off the engine check the oil filter and the plastic pipe for front oil filler. I find my pipe broken in two pieces and oil was leaking from there.

I just replaced the oil separator, symptoms as described (to the back of the engine). Also, rather a lot of oil had gone quite far as quite a lot of rain splashes into the compartment and then carries it further (also, being oil, it "sticks" to surfaces and can migrate rather far).
Also needed to replace one of the three bolts, was corroded by all the oil (but it did unscrew OK, I was just afraid to keep it there for a long time).
What I did not understand from all the diagrams I could find, is there only an oil separator, or is there also a crankcase breather valve (PCV valve) somewhere?

Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for the replies, appreciated. Having now taken the car to my mechanic friend I can confirm that it's a slow leak from the oil separator. It will most likely need replacing as opposed to cleaning.

Thanks.

Cleaning may be a bad idea, at least on some other cars with similar engines the oil separator has later "disassembled its innards", they fell into the sump and (partially) blocked the oil pickup.

Back