Water in the Front Passenger Foot Well – or Built-in Foot Spa!

Hi Folks

I’ve read loads on here about leaking windscreens but I felt mine was a leak from elsewhere.

It seemed to come from under the bottom of the glovebox on the right hand side, by the Pollen Filter.

It was colourless and odourless so I decided to taste it. It tasted of nothing. It was therefore not coolant nor had any screen wash in it. It had to be condensation from the Air Con system.

I ran the Air Con and looked under the car for the tell-tale sign of dripping water to see if the drain was working and sure enough it was. Where was this water coming from?

I’d ruled out the windscreen etc and even though the drain pipe was working, I still felt it must be blocked or part blocked in some way.

I’d seen options on the internet of how to clear this:-

1. Find the end of the drain pipe and fire compressed air up it to clear
2. With a hosepipe, squirt a small jet of water up the pipe. The problem with this is that the water will exit onto the passenger floor and under the floor is the ECU, CCU and loads of electrics. DO NOT TRY THIS ONE!!
3. Use a VAX or similar to suck the blockage out and any excess water (DO NOT USE A NORMAL VACUUM CLEANER)

Options 1 and 2 would only push any rubbish back into the Air Con system giving it chance to block again. Option 3 seemed the best to do.

VAX ready and waiting so here we go.

Remove the mat and carpet from the front footwell. See picture (a) for the Air Con drain pipe. a.jpg Gently pull this out from the bulkhead. There is no pipe behind, just a space between the bulk head and sound insulation. (If you look in the engine bay for the pipe you will not find it as it is hidden behind the sound insulation (took ages to work this out…Grrrr)

Make sure you have a towel or cloth to catch any water released, as you MUST protect the ECU and electrics.

If you look through the hole in the bulk head you will see the sound insulation. Push the insulation away from the bulk head with an appropriate tool, making sure not to put a hole in it. See picture (b). The reason for this is to ensure that when you re-fit the drain pipe there is sufficient room for it.
b.jpg
There is a little flap over the mouth of the pipe, lift it to see if the pipe is clear. See picture (c).c.jpg Mine was most definitely not clear. See picture (d).d.jpg

With a cloth or towel in place, run the Air Con system on LOW temperature with MAX fans and all the vents open. Wait for a little while until you see water dripping from the end of the pipe. See picture (e).e.jpg Once it’s dripping attach the VAX to the end of the pipe and suck. Keep removing the VAX to check that the pipe mouth is clear. Repeat until it is. See picture (f).f.jpg

I think the reason for so much rubbish in my system is that the previous owner at some stage removed the Pollen Filter and didn’t replace it. I only found this out when I decided to replace it myself with a charcoal filter. See picture (g) for rubbish removed.g.jpg There was also wet rubbish in the VAX pipe.

To refit, push the drain pipe back into the bulk head from the bottom first and then push around the circumference until a snug fit. Run the Air Con on LOW with MAX fans again and check under the car for the dripping water. Recheck the drain pipe at the bulk head inside the car to make sure there are no leaks. If all good, dry any wet areas and refit carpet etc.

Good luck!

Ps. Having worked for an Audi dealer for the last 21 years, I've had many new cars and the Air Con in the A2 is by far the coldest I have ever experienced. Ice-ice cold!
:cool:

I am pretty sure this is the issue that we have, thanks for the guide. We have a palce to start. :D

I am pretty sure this is the issue that we have, thanks for the guide. We have a palce to start. :D[/QUOTE Same problem passenger foot well soaking coming through the glove box took bonnet off thought it was a bit heavy .Bonnet full of water the drains were blocked .Cleaned them out problem now solved]

I have this exact same problem
Have tried unblocking the drain pipe and it seems clear. If squeezed the length of it and there doesn't feel like anything there. Clean and bone dry but the water is leaking from the fan area.
Any suggestions what to do next?

I have this exact same problem
Have tried unblocking the drain pipe and it seems clear. If squeezed the length of it and there doesn't feel like anything there. Clean and bone dry but the water is leaking from the fan area.
Any suggestions what to do next?
Probably not what you want to hear though some have had issues with the windscreen sealant giving up and letting water in.

Thanks. Have checked screen and seems ok. Hasn't leaked before and I have given it several extensive jet washes.
I'm beginning to think it's water from puddles. We had LOADS of rain last weekend which was when I noticed the leak. I originally assumed it was from driving through deep puddles, but when I saw the thread about water in glove box being a blockage in AC drain I assumed this was the problem, especially as I had lots of condensation in the cabin.
Indicentally, the air con doesn't really work that well and certainly doesn't get very cold, so I'm sure it needs a re-gas.
I've removed the glove box and there was a lot of water dripping from the bottom of the fan housing, but after a long run with it blowing on full, there's no more water.
Once everything has dried out, especially around the bulkhead area, I'll investigate further.

Back