The Cobalt dream machine.

As one or 2 of you will know we are now the proud owners of this little beauty, a plane was booked from Luton and so the journey began.

fullsizeoutput-1d65.jpg

So this is my official way of introducing myself now that we own one of these cars. These are the only 2 pics i have for now worth putting up.........one built for fuel economy the other a super quick old school beauty.........:p

attachment.php

Anyway....... drove the car back down south yesterday on Tescos finest, she was purring along beautifully, setting of from Peniquik near Edinbrough down to Moffat a cracking road to drive on with scenery to die for! Should have stopped to take a few photos but the opportunity didn't really present itself with parking, i do like Scotland it's a beautiful place. As you can imagine i was enjoying the drive in our new A2 just hoping all would go well on the long journey back home to Rickmansworth.

By the time i had got onto the M74 the Windscreen washer level warning light came on after only a couple of clears so i thought ok easily sorted found the next turn off and filled her up. Obviously for me this is a whole new experience just having a little flap for a grill for the light maintenance fill ups. The next 190 miles or so i was still getting used to the car and hoping the rest of the trip would be event free when the engine low level oil warning light came on somewhere above Birmingham. Panic set in :( not knowing these vehicles so speed reduced to 55mp as i didn't want to do any damage and prayed for a quick exit. After paying extortionate motorway service prices she took 3/4 litre of oil to bring the oil level back up to position A on the dipstick. The rest of the journey went like clockwork thankfully and later on the wife got to try it, she really liked it.

I'm going to service her myself as i don't trust garages, apparently she had a service 1,500 miles ago, hmm did they do a good job? doesn't look like it.........oil warning low level light on and no oil to be seen on the dipstick just the very end of the little plastic indicator. Anyone know what the official oil spec to use on these cars is,mines a 1.4 petrol and how many litres does it take to fill up?

Is there is anywhere on the forum where the under bonnet details are identified showing whats what under there i.e.,where the air filter is etc etc will save me a bit of time locating all the necessaries. I'm also going to do the fuel filter too while i'm at it.

That's it for now,i guess i'm on the look out for those 17" Sport wheels that were snapped from beneath my feet yesterday and some twist interior bits if anyone has i would be interested.

Any help you guys can give will be appreciated and i hope to be a productive helpful member in return. :)

Attachments

• P1050988_zpsqydmwh4l.jpg
    P1050988_zpsqydmwh4l.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 1,547
Last edited:
4l to refill. Anything that fulfils 50.whatever it is for the relevant VW standard. I'm personally using Shell Helix at the moment, but then I'm doing changes every 12 months....

I would check the tightness of the filter and then see what happens with regard to the oil. And while it's on a ramp, take a good look underneath to see what the state is.

- Bret

Thanks A2Steve,that link looks superb covering a huge array of stuff!! Cheers.

Been looking at the forum on oil recommendations. All i wanted to know was what viscosity and i'm going to use Fuch titan pro s Ester 5w-40 oil,same as in all our old Audis.Great makes life easy then.

Thanks Bret,i'll check the oil filter for tightness.

Looking good side-by-side Mark. A beautiful colour the Cobalt Blue (or black as some folk would have you believe...:p).

As discussed, very pleased this worked out to be the car for you and pleased for James that he got a good sale to a fellow member who will, by all accounts, lavish and cherish it. Welcome aboard officially mate.

Looking good side-by-side Mark. A beautiful colour the Cobalt Blue (or black as some folk would have you believe...:p).

As discussed, very pleased this worked out to be the car for you and pleased for James that he got a good sale to a fellow member who will, by all accounts, lavish and cherish it. Welcome aboard officially mate.

Thanks Darren,your a pal, i have you to thank for that urgent pm. ;) Reckon our 2 will look good together at a future show. :p Need to spend some money first! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi Mark. Really sorry about the oil level issue. It ran beautifully and without issue for 2 weeks before advertising it and has never faltered apart from the issue that I resolved with the coil packs in all the time I've owned it. Drop me a line with the cost of the oil and filter and I'll pop it back into your account by way of an apology. Hope all is well otherwise, the cars look awesome together. James.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to A2 onwership
Anyone know what the official oil spec to use on these cars is
Key thing is the A2 set for long life service (up to 2 years) or an annual service. They use different oil specs. Long life oil is more expensive. If you do oil changes yourself (no labour cost) then I guess annual changes are best.

I always change my oil Annually, regardless of mileage (unless I'd exceeded 10,000mls) There is nothing better than fresh oil in an engine to preserve the Life of the engine, and the cost to change it is very low, even with fully synthetic. You can hear that the engine is quieter after the oil-change and it's a good feeling to be running with new, clean oil (Like new "blood") !I'd feel very uneasy to leave it as long as 2 Years, that's for sure!

David

I always change my oil Annually, regardless of mileage (unless I'd exceeded 10,000mls) There is nothing better than fresh oil in an engine to preserve the Life of the engine, and the cost to change it is very low, even with fully synthetic. You can hear that the engine is quieter after the oil-change and it's a good feeling to be running with new, clean oil (Like new "blood") !I'd feel very uneasy to leave it as long as 2 Years, that's for sure!

David

I cannot agree with you more!! I have used Shell Helix before and it's a very good mid priced oil but after using some Fuch Titan Pro S ester based oil i won't be going back,you can really feel the difference. I remember when these longline service schedules came out thinking it's just a ploy to draw in more sales the customer thinking they're getting a good deal.Makes me shudder at the thought why would anyone abuse an engine in that way?�� :eek:

The wife went out this morning to use the A2 and she gave up as the engine was shuddering, her words, and the engine light was on.She didn't want to drive it.It's weird as i drove it last night for 3 miles and it ran well.Ive checked it out and it's running rough like as if it's on 3 cylinders.I can only think it's a coil thats gone dead? There is a mish mash of coils on there so i'm thinking now of buying 4 new coils to see if that sorts the problem out?!

Suggest you get a scan done mate as it's not worth buying 4 coils when only one or two are goosed. Again if it's just the one cool try swapping working ones over with the faulty one and scanning to see if the code moves with the coil as you'll know for sure if it is a faulty coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Hass but as this is a nice car that we intend to keep, and my wife and child need reliability, i just went ahead and ordered 4 new Audi coils and NGK spark plugs.

Fitted them this afternoon which took 30 mins give or take and the car's running really well now.

P1060107.jpg

Last edited:
Today,well yesterday now, i gave the A2 an engine service i.e. new oil and filter along with a new air filter and the car surprised me further by feeling even smoother and responding even better to the slightest prod of the throttle than it already was. Well i had only just changed all 4 coils for genuine Audi and plugs yet the Air filter and oil change has released more from this superb little engine.I'm a great believer in using top quality components as i can feel the difference.

Futch Titan Pro S ester based fully synthetic oil expensive at £50 a pop but worth it.
Genuine Audi oil filter
Genuine Audi Air filter.

As this was my first time as a time served enthusiast who prefers where possible to carry out jobs i found the components i changed today relatively easy to do. Oil filter is a fairly tight squeeze but easy enough,the air filter as Sarge says is a bit awkward in that one screw is difficult to get to but all in all ok just very different to my older Audis.

The only thing i found that appeared to be amiss well 3 actually was the under tray had a couple fixings missing one torx screw and one 10mm nut on the left hand upper chassis leg mounting piont the nut just wouldn't undo and the previous mechanic had brocken that part of the tray to enable removal. The 3rd thing which i'm hoping someone will advise upon?? There appears to be 2 locating brackets on the bonnet the rear most edges that locates just underneath the screen yet one bracket seams to be brocken with part of it missing the part that locates into a lug when you position the bonnet which then holds it there before you screw in the big grey thumb screws.

Couple of questions........

Does anyone have a link for a set of under tray fixings?

And

Is the alloy locating bracket i mentioned prone to breakage like mine has and does anyone have one available so i can repair it?

Apart from the above i'm really very pleased with the car.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: sco
I should be able to help you out with the fixings and a replacement bracket for the bonnet of you want?

In case anyone reads this i'm after a set of 17" sport alloy wheels for our A2.Old perished tyres not a problem,they will be removed for some fresh Goodyear Asymmetric 2's. Must be straight and true but will happily take a set in need of fresh powder coat. Thanks.

Good and bad news this one. Got the car back after an overnight stay at the Alloy wheel refurbishers early this evening,alloys looking great with 4 new Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres. Went to put petrol in and the fuel flap switch has decided to give up the ghost. I'm just wondering if it's possibly a fuse as both switches on the B pillar are no longer illuminated? Any help greatly appreciated.Cheers Mark.

Back