Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AMF 75BHP Remap

AMF 75BHP Remap

I did my own remap, based on information that I got from several A2OC members.
    I used some free software called VAG EDC15P+ Suite (which is excellent and free) and WinOLS test version (which is free to use)

I spend quite some time understand the standard maps on the TDI that Audi provided, I also obtained from a fellow A2OC member a later version of Audi's standard map. It appears that Audi used two different software versions through the life of the A2's TDI 75BHP engine and whilst they are similar there are slight differences

Once I got my head around the maps I did a comparison between the standard maps and some remapped files that I obtained from fellow A2OC members. From this I was able to establish the maps that are changed when a remap is done.
    I have taken an average of the values changed on the numerous remapped files that I have, and have made adjustments to my original map using these average values. I have gone on the conservative side with the changed map values, so will not have got the maximum remap benefits, but then again my total cost for my remap is the 10 I paid for the mpps cable needed to read from / write to the ECU

I am very happy with the results even though I don't know the 'actual' numbers being output by the 3 potter.
    VAGSuite as a predictor in it, run against the original Audi map it stated 82bhp, with 224Lbft which is around 9% higher (BHP) than it should be (so accepting this 9% error)
    Run against my modified map it predicts 117bhp with 287Lbft so applying the same 9% error (BHP) this is more likely to be 107bhp
    The predictors torque numbers are some what higher on the Audi original and also on the remap, it appears to be out by a ratio of 1.55 times, so applying this to the predicted figures it is really 184Lbft which is a very nice increase, moreover the torque curve is much flatter and wider than the original leading to an easier driving experience.
    The engine also revs more freely and pulls well to near 4000rpm, where as before it was dropping off after 3500rpm, but being honest there is so much torque now available there is no point or need to rev past 3000rpm

Fuel economy as not been a made any worse and may indeed be slightly better, I am getting a regular 63 to 65 MPG tank to tank, some longish motorway trips in this at around 75mph average and commuting to work 8 miles each way, I don't thrash it everywhere, but equally I'm driving like miss daisy either

All in all I am very happy with my remapping efforts, the A2 is much more pleasant to drive and overtaking is not effortless and it will certainly raise the odd eyebrow of the sportier cars when this 15 year old A2 doesn't disappear from there rear view mirror
    I am 1800 miles so far on the remap and no problems so far

I'm not saying that this is as good as a custom map on a rolling road, because quite simply it isn't, but then again it didn't cost me 300+, I'm sure there is a place for both.

I would like peoples opinion on the EGR - at the moment I have left it operational, but I have the option to map it out. None of the remap files that I got had it mapped out, which is some what interesting because everything you look at regarding remapping seems to suggest that the EGR is removed

Should anyone on here want to follow in my footsteps then drop me a PM

Cheers
    Paul (Depronman)
    1.4 TDI 2001 287,347 miles and still going strong

2. 3 users that liked this post:

Howdy Ay 2 (29-10-2016), PaulA2 (22-10-2016), sco (22-10-2016)

On early TDis the EGR can be blanked off or just disconnected without causing triggering any fault codes so there is no real requirement to map it out. The EGR however is integrated with the anti shudder valve so it's not advisable to remove it as the engine feels like it's shaking itself to bits when switched off.

Later models have an 'electronic' EGR valve. One advantage of this design is the anti shudder valve is a separate part, allowing the EGR valve to be removed completely and replaced by a smooth bore tube. This however will trigger fault codes, so it's normal practice to map it out.

Very innovative mod by the way

Cheers Spike

Wow.......Just reading that gave me a headache.....hats off to you fella, very impressed indeed .
    Im certain there is room for both and I would be very interested in you having a go at my standard A2 05 plate. I have had the silver one done (55 plate) at stealth and have never looked back. Im sure I was told that it is now punching out about 115bhp, I made the mistake of not asking for the data sheet when it was done, not even sure if they would have given it to me to be honest......
    Last edited by johnyfartbox; 22-10-2016 at 12:12 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by johnyfartbox View Post
    Wow.......Just reading that gave me a headache.....hats off to you fella, very impressed indeed .
    Im certain there is room for both and I would be very interested in you having a go at my standard A2 05 plate. I have had the silver one done (55 plate) at stealth and have never looked back. Im sure I was told that it is now punching out about 115bhp, I made the mistake of not asking for the data sheet when it was done, not even sure if they would have given it to me to be honest......
    is your 05 plate a 75bhp TDI (as against the 90TDI) assuming that its the 75bhp then I see no reason why the map that I have will not go directly onto your car, you are not to far from me so I'm sure that we can arrange something

cheers,
    Paul (Depronman)

6. Users that liked this post:

Howdy Ay 2 (29-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    On early TDis the EGR can be blanked off or just disconnected without causing triggering any fault codes so there is no real requirement to map it out. The EGR however is integrated with the anti shudder valve so it's not advisable to remove it as the engine feels like it's shaking itself to bits when switched off.

Later models have an 'electronic' EGR valve. One advantage of this design is the anti shudder valve is a separate part, allowing the EGR valve to be removed completely and replaced by a smooth bore tube. This however will trigger fault codes, so it's normal practice to map it out.

Very innovative mod by the way

Cheers Spike
    Hi Spike, thanks for the reply,
    I may be mistaken, but I thought it was the 90bhp TDI that had the integrated EGR and anti shudder valve (I may be remembering it wrong though)

I mapped out the EGR on my 2001 MY TDI before I did the full remap (kind of dipping my toe in the water) and it had no problems with with either the MIL light or shudder on engine turn off. However I'm not sure if it ran any better with it mapped out and there was little to no difference
    VAGCOM confirmed that it was indeed mapped out as the duty cycle was zero

cheers,
    Paul (Depronman)

Ive a few maps ive been testing with various results, i could send you my original map which has the EGR mapped out, i come to realise its more of a fuel economy map rather than all out horses.. Ive been comparing all the maps in VAG SUITE and found some are totally different and there so complex due to all the layers but more so when ive tested the maps out on the road as you can feel how different they are
    Audi A2 TDI SE , Working sky , Bose , Dis , rear electric windows , Red leather .... Daily Driver

Audi A2 1.4 16valve

AUDI A2 SE 1.4TDI dirty diesel dog, Rebuild in progress , next stage custom stainless manifold and VNT Turbo

Project A2 Quattro Twin bike Engined Transplant, custom paintwork, bodykit front and rear bumper update with A6 sport Grill .

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Ive a few maps ive been testing with various results, i could send you my original map which has the EGR mapped out, i come to realise its more of a fuel economy map rather than all out horses.. Ive been comparing all the maps in VAG SUITE and found some are totally different and there so complex due to all the layers but more so when ive tested the maps out on the road as you can feel how different they are
    Yes please send the maps, more the merrier as the saying goes. I think I have my head around how the make structure works and what affect what so to speak I will PM you my email address
    Cheers,
    Paul (Depronman)

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    Hi Spike, thanks for the reply,
    I may be mistaken, but I thought it was the 90bhp TDI that had the integrated EGR and anti shudder valve (I may be remembering it wrong though)

I mapped out the EGR on my 2001 MY TDI before I did the full remap (kind of dipping my toe in the water) and it had no problems with with either the MIL light or shudder on engine turn off. However I'm not sure if it ran any better with it mapped out and there was little to no difference
    VAGCOM confirmed that it was indeed mapped out as the duty cycle was zero

cheers,
    Hi Paul, I'm sure the combined EGR / anti shudder valve on AMF engines was dropped with the introduction of the ATL and BHC Euro4 engine models.
    I disconnected the EGR valve on my AMF engine early in it's life and found no perceivable improvement in performance or economy. Long term it should prevent the build up of oily carbon deposits in the intake manifold.

Cheers Spike

11. Users that liked this post:

A2Steve (22-10-2016)

Hi there Guys, I have finally got an A2 1.4 tdi, january 2002 75bhp. I have to say a little disappointed in the economy! I say this because I could have bought a Fabia VRS and reckon could have got similar economy....i dont think a 60mpg average quite cuts it! So i am very interested in a remap.....especially one that doesnt set me back an arm and a leg!....I bought the car as going through a divorce! Any help direction about how id go about this would be greatly appreciated. My time is split between Ditchling nr Brighton, West London and the Isle of Wight. Please can you advise what hardware i need to buy to do this where I can find the maps? Cheers Ian

Quote Originally Posted by hmsgenoa View Post
    Hi there Guys, I have finally got an A2 1.4 tdi, january 2002 75bhp. I have to say a little disappointed in the economy! I say this because I could have bought a Fabia VRS and reckon could have got similar economy....i dont think a 60mpg average quite cuts it! So i am very interested in a remap.....especially one that doesnt set me back an arm and a leg!....I bought the car as going through a divorce! Any help direction about how id go about this would be greatly appreciated. My time is split between Ditchling nr Brighton, West London and the Isle of Wight. Please can you advise what hardware i need to buy to do this where I can find the maps? Cheers Ian
    Welcome to the forum!

Exactly the same age and model as my car. Tell us more!