Steering cheel change

leehallum

A2OC Donor
Hello,

Does anyone have any advice/ instructions on removing and re-fitting the steering wheel?

After a bit of searching I managed to get an Alcantara wheel (originally from a similar aged TT) on ebay, to match my seats, which I plan to fit in place of my current 3 spoke wheel. The new wheel looks to be pretty much like for like and has the airbag with it.

If anyone can help with advice on doing this, it would be really appreciated and I will post some before and after pics.

Thank you

Hi lee

1. Disconnect battery and leave for 10-15 minutes
2. try to open the drivers window with the switch to discharge the system
3. feel at the back of the steering wheel there will be two torx head screws recessed into a little hole. One either side.
4. Undo the above by turning the wheel 180 degrees to gain access.
5. The steering wheel airbag will now lift off and can be disconnected at the top connector
6. In the centre of the wheel is a spline (or may be called something else, I use spline) nut. Undo this and the wheel will come off.
7. The black plastic unit behind the steering wheel is the steering angle sensor. Be careful not to rotate this when removing the wheel or you’ll have to do a recalibration with vcds.

Refitting is reversal or removal.

Hope this helps.

If you are wondering why Sarge's 'how to' guide recommends leaving the ignition 'on' then disconnecting the battery, it's a safety thing. It means you're not in the car when the airbag circuit is electrically deactivated. Same logic applies on assembly, with the ignition still switched on, the last step is to reconnect the -ve battery terminal.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Having done a steering wheel swap on a VW T5, using a FBSW.. I recall a small dot on the steering column that was lined up with a dot on the wheel boss so that when the wheel is put in place for driving straight ahead, thats actually what happened... (apologies if this si mentioned elsewhere)

Plus, the feeling of impending fear, changing to relief when the airbag hasn't fired when connecting it all up again, is quite a thing !

Back