G62 Coolant Temperature Sensor

Topsie

So, i've done a bit of research and it would appear that the G62 temperature sender sends 2 signals;

One to the on board temperature display on the dash and the other to the ECU (Please correct me if i'm mistaken!)

My issue is, if i connect via OBD, the temperature is reading between 110-118 Degrees in operation, however the on board display sits firmly at 90. The sensor in question is new (part of a new thermostat housing) as is the thermostat. The car is showing no signs of overheating, however I am getting a noticable loss of power once the engine is warm. When cold, the car is very nippy and the engine sounds quite nice, once warm, the car struggles to accellerate (No fault codes)

I think the ECU is recieving a high coolant temp signal and retarding the ignition timing to suit (If such a thing happens)

My first thought is my OBD adapter is giving false information, I'm getting my hands on VCDS and a cable to suit. Other than that, i'm going to borrow a friends laser temperature tool and check pipe temps etc.

Has anybody else had a similar issue?? :confused:

Nick

Within a specific coolant temp range, the gauge will remain steady at the 12 o'clock position. Under normal conditions, the gauge needle will not go past 12 o'clock. It is important to know that the coolant gauge, unlike a real thermometer, is really not much better than an green/red indicator light (except for the warming up phase).

The coolant gauge shows only two conditions reliably: It shows when the the thermostat opens (needle promptly indicates quickly rising temperature towards 12 o'clock) and when the coolant is getting rather hot (past 12 o'clock). The actual normal coolant temp range differ between engines.

Why the dead center design? Most people would think something is wrong if the coolant temperature gauge were to constantly fluctuate.

Self Study was very useful, explains the 110C operating temperature.

Agreed, normally by the time the temperature gauge responds the damage is already done - Fitted a digital thermometer to a 1996 Mitsubishi Delica for that exact reason. (They were renound for loosing coolant through a rotted heater matrix!)

Back