both dipped headlights not working

gbromley

Hi
I hope someone can help me further, i have an issue where both my dipped headlights have stopped working. The side lights, main beam, indicactors and fogs all ok, i have looked at some other posts on here and already checked fuses, got replacements ( albeit used) switch and relay No 9 replaced those and bulbs to still no avail. , I've checked that all the connectors are clicked in correctly on the lamps, So Im now scratching my head.
ideas anyone?

as a side note and is it possible that these are connected to the micro switch in the door catch as the fuel cap button hasn't worked for a while neither has the warning buzzer when lights left on no longer sounds when the door is open could the door catch micro switch also be responsible for the dipped lights not working in some way?

Hi
I hope someone can help me further, i have an issue where both my dipped headlights have stopped working. The side lights, main beam, indicactors and fogs all ok, i have looked at some other posts on here and already checked fuses, got replacements ( albeit used) switch and relay No 9 replaced those and bulbs to still no avail. , I've checked that all the connectors are clicked in correctly on the lamps, So Im now scratching my head.
ideas anyone?

as a side note and is it possible that these are connected to the micro switch in the door catch as the fuel cap button hasn't worked for a while neither has the warning buzzer when lights left on no longer sounds when the door is open could the door catch micro switch also be responsible for the dipped lights not working in some way?

They have no connection with the door switches.

It could be the light switch.

At least take it out and check the connector on the back, or borrow another light switch and try a swap and see if that helps>?

Push the rotary light switch in and turn it anti clockwise and keep it like that, the who unit will pull out.

Steve B

thanks for the reply SteveB ,
Ive tried a replacement switch(sorry probably didn't make that clear enough in my original post) and still not joy, i have just noticed however that the light height adjustment motors don't seem to be working now on the headlamps

thanks for the reply SteveB ,
Ive tried a replacement switch(sorry probably didn't make that clear enough in my original post) and still not joy, i have just noticed however that the light height adjustment motors don't seem to be working now on the headlamps
It is worth rechecking the fuses, don't rely on a visual check either, I have had lots of these fuses blow and still look perfect.

Fuses 23 and 24.

Unlikely that both have blown but not impossible.

The other potential cause is the dip/main stalk (but that would not affect the headlamp motors.

Clutching at straws here, but there is the old saying that if you have checked everything that is possible, then the only thing left to do is to try the impossible" (or something like that?)

Steve B

thanks for your help folks, last night i replaced one bulb no change decided to replace the fuses even though they looked fine following the advise of Birchall, replaced both fuse this morning no change, put the original Relay back in and retried the replacement switch i had got and the new headlamp I'd replaced came on, replaced the other bulb and all is now working, so whether it was multiple issues or one causing others to fail I'm not sure, no real idea what the culprit was but now all sorted , thanks again for your help

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have the same problem, no dipped beams, I’ve changed the headlight switch and the stalk (wish i’d found this thread first) no joy. Fuses are fine and have power, bulbs have continuity across them so i’m thinking earths, especially as the cooling fan has also stopped working.
Anyone know where the headlights earth, are dipped and main separate and if so does the radiator fan use the same earth?
Thanks

My Dipped beams; both headlights are dead... I first checked the bulbs, then the fuses... after the relay 370 ... all were ok.

IMG_2505.jpeg

Then the main cause could be the worn electrical part of the rotary light switch... you could separate and check the various parts by following this link, the switch is common to several Audi and VW cars. There is the rotating front part, the LED light circuit and the rear part of the electrical connector with the mechanical switching part

IMG_2506.jpeg
IMG_2508.jpeg

And the relative connecting plug melted....

IMG_2510.jpeg

IMG_2513.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 15.57.29.png

The rear part of the rotary switch containing the switches was partially melted as well....

IMG_2542.jpeg

by shorting that copper contact I have restored the beam lights every time I turn on the A2 but the best solution is to change the piece with an original part. the switch is common to several Audi and VW cars and on eBay you can find just the rear electrical part or the entire panel

Attachments

• IMG_2531.jpeg
    IMG_2531.jpeg
    797.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have the same problem, no dipped beams, I’ve changed the headlight switch and the stalk (wish i’d found this thread first) no joy. Fuses are fine and have power, bulbs have continuity across them so i’m thinking earths, especially as the cooling fan has also stopped working.
Anyone know where the headlights earth, are dipped and main separate and if so does the radiator fan use the same earth?
Thanks
Embarrassingly having checked all the wiring I found I'd checked the wrong bulbs in the headlights and the mains were fine, but the dips had both failed. Schoolboy error- Son had suggested this but as I'd checked the (wrong) bulbs I'd ignored him. Humble pie at home..

and the connector diagram is on this post with reference parts numbers as well.

To remove the pins in the old plug connector you need a removal tool as well

IMG_2514.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 15.02.54.png
Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 15.05.52.png
IMG_2527.jpeg

I'm still waiting for the rotary light switch... 80 Euro, you can still find some "expensive" parts in Germany Here is the shop... and the original part

However, since the selector is split into parts, the rear electrical switch is essentially the one you need to replace ( better for Right drivers ;) )
On eBay you might find just that part, common to several VW and Audi cars (Skoda, Seat, etc.).... 😊

Last edited:
The part is generally needed is this one common to many VW Audi 8Z1 941 531
IMG_2597.jpeg
IMG_2598.jpeg
IMG_2596.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2594.png
    IMG_2594.png
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 15
done, all worn parts replaced including the external part which was worn and I had previously restored with stickers, now it is like new with only 408,000 km

IMG_2565.jpeg
IMG_2566.jpeg
IMG_2567.jpeg
IMG_2571.jpeg

Last edited:
Some more useful pictures how to extract the electric rear part…
IMG_2593.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2592.jpeg
    IMG_2592.jpeg
    602 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2591.jpeg
    IMG_2591.jpeg
    607.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2590.jpeg
    IMG_2590.jpeg
    742.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2588.jpeg