Steering Wheel Upgrade (none OEM)

I recently brought a OMP deep dish steering wheel (yes my 1.4 A2 wants to be a racecar!) I'm not the best at mechanics and will obviously take it somewhere to get changed, but I don't want to turn up with the steering wheel and not a boss kit. However, I cannot seem to find a boss kit specifically for the A2 anywhere!

If anyone has changed their wheel I would love to know if there is a boss kit for the A2, or if there is a boss kit for another car which will definitely fit.

Also if you have changed your steering wheel I'd love to see a picture!

Many thanks for any one who can help / give advice,

a young a2 driver :eek:

I've never really looked but suspect companies don't make boss kits for cars with airbag steering wheels.

It's maybe ok to remove safety kit from a dedicated track car with a roll cage and full harness seatbelts but has all sorts of implications on a road car.

Things to consider. If an airbag was factory fitted, the MOT may fail the car if it's been removed or the warning lights don't come on then go out after the 'check' period.
Removal of the drivers airbag may affect correct operation of the passenger and side airbags.
Your insurance company may not pay out for related injury claims and passengers could personally sue you if your insurance does not cover them.
Same could apply if you sell the car without re installing a fully functional airbag system.
I'm playing the devils advocate here but any of the above could actually happen even though the chances are slim.

Members who have upgraded their steering wheels usually select a single stage airbag version from an Audi TT, S3 or S-line model.

Cheers Spike

Birchall's steering wheel - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16706&d=1413064127

Last edited:
I've never really looked but suspect companies don't make boss kits for cars with airbag steering wheels.

It's maybe ok to remove safety kit from a dedicated track car with a roll cage and full harness seatbelts but has all sorts of implications on a road car.

Things to consider. If an airbag was factory fitted, the MOT may fail the car if it's been removed or the warning lights don't come on then go out after the 'check' period.
Removal of the drivers airbag may affect correct operation of the passenger and side airbags.
Your insurance company may not pay out for related injury claims and passengers could personally sue you if your insurance does not cover them.
Same could apply if you sell the car without re installing a fully functional airbag system.
I'm playing the devils advocate here but any of the above could actually happen even though the chances are slim.

Members who have upgraded their steering wheels usually select a single stage airbag version from an Audi TT, S3 or S-line model.

Cheers Spike

It's a common thing now with people changing their road cars wheel to a "racing" wheel, to stop the airbag light a resistor is used and a few of my friends seem to have passed mot as apparently as long as the light isn't on, as for insurance my first year is nearly up so I can start modding and change of steering wheel is actually on the list you can choose :) you can get boss kits for almost any road car so maybe just because the a2 is not so popular they aren't an easy option (a few things on eBay just not 100% they're the real thing to fit) thankyou for you're advice though!!:)

Back