Spacesaver bracket - top bolt fixings ??

Kennedy

A2OC Donor
Hi guys, I've had a quick look about but couldn't see posts relating to the problem I had this weekend;

I was going to fit my Vredestein collapsible spacesaver on the new bracket I bought from Audi but noticed the two holes at the top of the battery compartment had no threads to take the new bolts, its just two hollows in the moulding...:confused: is this a common thing or am I just unlucky?

It's a 2004 tdi90, obviously I'll try and figure something out but best solution I'm guessing is to to see if anyone can pull out the fixings from a breaker car for me, are they just bonded in?

Thanks,

Kennedy.

Hi guys, I've had a quick look about but couldn't see posts relating to the problem I had this weekend;

I was going to fit my Vredestein collapsible spacesaver on the new bracket I bought from Audi but noticed the two holes at the top of the battery compartment had no threads to take the new bolts, its just two hollows in the moulding...:confused: is this a common thing or am I just unlucky?

It's a 2004 tdi90, obviously I'll try and figure something out but best solution I'm guessing is to to see if anyone can pull out the fixings from a breaker car for me, are they just bonded in?

Thanks,

Kennedy.

Yup. I have the same issue.

Yup. I have the same issue.

I like the way 'A new thread was started for this issue' sorry guys couldn't resist it!
Seriously though I had the very same issue on my previous FSI which Darren C now lavishes, I believe he rectified the problem and did post it up sometime ago, perhaps he will jig our memories again.
Cheers Jeff

Okay pretty common then! - yeah if anyones got tips for removing whatever captive threaded pieces I need from a breaker car or work arounds, stick the link up for me. I was hoping it was a 2 minute job but I can't make the hole in the boot floor until all the bracket fixings are in and central so it'll be a job for next weekend...

Kennedy.

Gents

I had some spare thread inserts which ended up with Darren, sadly no more in my stash of random nuts and bolts.

You can remove the threaded section by using the following technique if you find a breaker:

Get a long 13mm bolt and associated nut
Screw nut onto bolt
Screw combined assembly into the threaded metal sections
Screw down nut onto the metal thread insert
Secure the bolt while tightening nut (as tight as you dare). Important to not allow the bolt to rotate as it will tighten the threaded insert.
Now rotate the complete assembly and this should subsequently cause the metal threaded insert to unscrew, threads are same as normal to undo.

When installing, the key is to start the process with a firm blow with a hammer then screwing thread assembly into the plastic assembly. The knack is to start it at the correct angle so it screws in square. I would hit with hammer, do 1/4 turn them tap again to ensure the threads bite the plastic well enough to avoid it spinning out. Ensure firm pressure is applied while inserting it.

Once done , secure the bolt and undo the nut and there you have a new correct insert.

As Jeff and Paul highlight; I was fortunate enough to be offered the original parts.

Page one of my thread, linked below, offers some good advice and other options suggested by members if the original part can't be sourced.

Hope this helps. http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?30930-Repair-for-spare-wheel-fixing-bracket-advice-welcome

Cheers,

Darren

I like the way 'A new thread was started for this issue' sorry guys couldn't resist it!
Seriously though I had the very same issue on my previous FSI which Darren C now lavishes, I believe he rectified the problem and did post it up sometime ago, perhaps he will jig our memories again.
Cheers Jeff

Need to have a look at mine then, my spare wheel just sits in the floor not screwed down, didn't realise it should., pictures in the link were really useful.

Back