Chorus stereo blew up!

A2 TDI

I received my Chorus I stereo a few weeks ago (4B0035152B). I didn't have any speakers in the car at the time, apart from one aftermarket speaker in the driver side that was badly wired and didn't work. Nevertheless, I fitted the stereo and an aux kit to plug into my phone. I'm sure I plugged everything in correctly. Of course I couldn't test it as I didn't have any working speakers. A day or two after installing the stereo I started my car and all of a sudden smoke started pouring out the stereo with a burning stench that something had fried, there was also some crackling in that one speaker that never worked. Naturally the stereo didn't work but I noticed the fuse had gone at the back, so I replaced the fuse and it powered up again. I Took out the aux kit (thinking that might have shorted something) and installed some second original speakers into the doors. Wired everything up, but no sound?

Have I fried something in the radio - will I need to buy another stereo?

if you need to get a new stereo give me a shout

I have just replaced mine (went for a DAB from Halfords) so I have mine for sale (though I have not put it up for sale as that would mean I was organised)

I would have to take a look (I only know it has a cd player and knobs on the front that push in and out)

I'll take a look tonight

You've probably damaged the output chip, I can repair some of them, all depends on what damage has been done.

Send it over if you want and I'll take a look at it for you :)

Sarge

Possibly. The radio itself works, so some chip somewhere has malfunctioned. What would it cost to repair the output chip? Just wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy a new stereo altogether?

Possibly. The radio itself works, so some chip somewhere has malfunctioned. What would it cost to repair the output chip? Just wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy a new stereo altogether?

I need to see what has happened inside it to give you a price, post it/drop it in and I'll take a look for you.

Sarge

Back