Fault codes and braking issues!

richiel_7

Hi all,

Having problems with my A2 1.4 petrol and thought I would ask for some opinions. If people would be so kind!

For a background - Due to an intermmitent EPC light on a previous visit my garage already told me he had erased codes for EGR valve and inlet manifold pressure sensor but the car ran fine and EPC light has only come back once or twice briefly in the last 6 months.

Forward to October:- Was driving home and my brakes pedal went all spongey and ineffective!! It righted itself so I kept an eye. A few journeys later it did it again and the ABS light has popped up! Did this a few times over two weeks when finally as I was nearing home I could hear an awful scrape on turning? (Unsure if this is related to the ABS fault). I decided to park up and have only just got around to looking at the car (had a house move)

The abs fault bothers me most as it is clearly a danger to drive.

Car battery was flat so I charged it up and pulled off the following codes using the cheap chinese U281 VAG reader: (so some codes may well relate to the battery voltage)

Engine:-

16555 P0171 Fuel Trim - System Lean (Bank 1)
16786 P0402 EGR Flow excessive
17566 Manifold pressure sensor - Implausible signal

A/T (Couldn't link) What is A/T? - Does it mean automatic transmission?? (hence why it wouldn't link as mine is manual!)

SRS:-

00532 P1746 - Low voltage

ABS:-

00810 - Sensor 1/2 For brake pressure : No or incorrect basic setting/adaptation.

I'm no mechanic but wanted to ask opinions if these fault codes (especially the ABS) relate to my symptoms. My initial thought was abs pump? but then the scraping sound when I last drove the car made me think - what was that - perhaps a caliper or disc issue? or even a stone trapped (I can't yet drive car to check for a stone as tyre is flat and won't reinflate...) Or possibly two issues, unrelated?

If there are any A2 brainiacs out there who could offer an opinion on all codes, I would be much obliged.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
from a safety point of view I would only be concerned about the 00810 fault code

I suspect the SRS Safety Restrain System fault code is due to low voltage and the three engine code are not safety related and may or may not be a real issue

The spongy brake pedal is a concern that need looking in to, as is the noise which could be a pad worn down to the metal or any number of other things, a visual examination of the brakes on each corned is highly advised (wheel off and have a good look at the disk / pads and feel the wheel bearings of excessive play / total collapse

Best of luck

Thanks for replying

The brakes are a definite concern. Almost non effective.

I think its a case of getting it lifted to a local garage unless anyone knows a local mobile Audi guy in the Wellingborough area!! Its not safe to drive. Annoying expense...

Does it make scraping noise all the time or only when turning tightly & slowly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbh the noise came on suddenly within the half mile of driving home, the last time I drove the car. The spongey brake issue had been there for a couple of weeks prior on and off.

It was a loud scraping - that on hindsight was there even when not turning - it didnt coincide with spongey brakes which seemed to be working at that point.

Have you checked for stones between the disc & backing plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back