Limp mode second day of ownership oh well

Just bought a 2002 tdi75 nice little car a few Bits to sort it went into limp mode total loss of boost but when i turn it off and on its fine throwing code p1556 up which after reading could be anything,i need 2 hub caps for the 16"wheels i need to sort the heater panel all the buttons have rubbed off and also some bright spark painted the electric windows buttons in black paint so need new set of those too,it came with one key which was just a key so purchased a new one today full remote £107 all in going under the bonnet tomorrow wish me luck

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Hi,

Regarding the limp mode you are experiencing, the Ross-Tech page here has some useful information.

It may be worth you checking the boost pipework for leaks, especially around the bottom and top of the intercooler. Signs of oily residue may indicate that a seal has failed.

Regards,

Matt. :)

Thanks matt I'll check it out under the bonnet tomorrow I'm sure the problem Will present itself and it'll be fixed in minutes ha ha

Justin

All the best with it hope you manage to sort the limp mode problem out. I've had mine nearly 2 months now which came with only one key,could i ask where you got yours from?

I got the key from shipley west Yorkshire from a garage called "drive in service station"while he was programming the key he cleared quite a few codes from the ecu and no more limp mode fingers crossed it stays that way.

I asked the guy the same thing because I would prefer genuine he said it's aftermarket but there made at the same place so just as good it's really good quality so I'm very happy with it
c3508a39941f22e27e7038515aebe2ee.jpg
e1c6d7c53c838ea49f81fb7a8ce85f55.jpg
7eac3547cc0c038daafdfc1fbe3817b9.jpg

Help please just been under my tdi75 and the underside of the compressor is covered in oil and gunk any idea where it's coming from I'll post a pic

Looking at this picure it appears your intercooler is burst on the bottom. I can see the seal pushed out.

Unfortunately this is a replacement intercooler that is needed.

That is also why the car is going into limp-home mode.

Cheers
Jeff

Your right jeff it's blowing out of the intercooler thanks do i need to take the bumper off to change the intercooler

Also shouldn't there be an engine management light come on because nothing has

Hi,

There's a pretty comprehensive guide to changing the intercooler here. The bumper does need to come off. As far as I'm aware, it's normal that the engine management light does not come on - limp mode should be the only symptom. :p

Regards,

Matt.

I've just checked the previous guy took the bulb out of the engine management light

I've just checked the previous guy took the bulb out of the engine management light

Really - there's no bulbs, they are all LED's in the cluster!

I presume you know the previous owner and he's told you.
I'd be suspisious.

I haven't taken the clocks out yet so i assume he's done something if not bulb then led because it doesn't light up when the ignition is turned on and the intercooler is leaking so pretty obvious,i don't know him but sold as seen so no comeback

Hopefully there's just something stuck over the LED stopping the light shining.

If you get stuck there are a few of us on here who can test and repair the clusters.

Makes me angry when shady people pull stunts like this.

Ask if you need help

Cheers
Jeff

Ok thanks thats tomorrows job i did the temp sender today new intercooler gets delivered friday.

Hi,

Are you 100% sure that the bulb is damaged in some way?

I ask because the engine management light doesn't show on my MY2002 TDI when the ignition is turned on, and it is confirmed as working using the VCDS 'Lamp Test' function.

Also, can anyone confirm that the EML will definitely be lit with a boost leak? I can't find any evidence or forum posts to suggest that it will be.

Regards,

Matt.

Back