Humming noise

Elpres

Hi guys. I have sort of a humming noise from the front, when doing around 60-70 kmt. First i thougt it was the wheel bearings, but the sound is also present when driving straight ahead.
When i press the clutch pedal, the sound is still there. Could this rule out the gearbox as the sinner?
Any suggestions, to what i might be? Any test i could do myself?

Last edited:
Could still be a wheel bearing, does it get notably worse when loading either side? Mine did the same as yours and was still noisy in a straight line.

Hi guys. I have sort of a humming noise from the front, when doing around 60-70 kmt. First i thougt i was the wheel bearings, but the sound is also present when driving straight ahead.
When i press the clutch pedal, the sound is still there. Could this rule out the gearbox as the sinner?
Any suggestions, to what i might be? Any test i could do myself?
It could possibly be tyre noise. Some tyres are more noisy than others. Have you recently fitted winter tyres? They can be very noisy.

Steve B

My money is on tyres. Does it change at all on different road surfaces? Have you checked tread and pressures? Is it definitely the front, sometimes it can be hard to tell.

Thanks guys for your posts.

It is not the tyres as the sound is still there after i changed to winter tyres.
I cant pickup any change in the sound when i make a left/right turn, that is a bit confusing i think, as i was taught that the sound would increase if it indeed was a wheel bearing.
I will try to make an appointment with a shop, and have it checked.

put the car on a ramp. Spin the front wheel while holding the spring. If it's the bearing, the spring will vibrate. If not, it won't. Repeat as ncessary. After 40mph does indicate a bearing, though...

- Bret

+1 on on Brets advise.. Do check the tyres first, but second should be the wheel bearings as Bret suggests. I had the same humming sound in my TDI and it just got increasingly worse over time. I did put the car on ramps and spun each wheel at a time listening for noise or a slow rotating wheel, but both came out good.

Only when I followed Bret's advice to spin the wheel while holding lightly on the spring could I feel a vibration from the right front wheel that was not present on the left. So I had both both front wheel bearings changed to high quality SKF bearings and it made a big difference. No more humming or whine and a no more vibrations through the steering wheel or floorpan..

So give that a go and let us know the outcome..

Back