Problems locking boot

bphull

Hi there I have a problem closing my boot in this cold weather, it closes on the 1st latch only and you can hard the electronic mechanism closing - however it does not fully close, as such the alarm doesn't come on. Also the dashboard shows the boot is still open even though it's closed. Any advise welcome please ; )
Thanks
Bal

The boot lock catch mechanism has most likely failed. It's a common issue. My car does the same and I'll be swapping it for a replacement unit I have here soon. It's not a difficult job to change it over. Two bolts on outside from memory and the rest is accessed from inside the bootlid by removing the cover.

thanks Steve - most useful info and advise.
Do you know where the 2 bolts outside are and how to remove the cover from inside the boot lid?
I tried to have a look but couldn't find any bolts or a way to remove the inside cover?
thanks so much
Bal

I'm going from memory which isn't the best. You shouldnt have any trouble removing it and it will be obvious once the cover is off. The inner bootlid cover simply pulls off. Just take your time and pull from one corner until you see the clips. After that it's just a matter of pulling off all the clips all the way around and it will release. Don't allow it to drop to the floor because there is a plastic emergency release cord that goes from the bootlock to the cover that will need to be released as well. It's very simple honestly.

I've had a similar problem in the past. The hatch was difficult to fully shut. I simply cured it by adjusting the position of the striker plate/bar. (where the mechanism on the hatch locates to hold the hatch in a closed position) In fact, this worked on my Partner's A2, as well. So what I'm saying is that it may not be that anything is actually broken, it merely needs to be re-positioned.

David

thanks so much for your help Steve - much appreciated, I will take a look at it later now the weather here in London is milder : )

Great to have your response and advise too David - thanks! I will have a look at it later and see what I can do hopefully : )

hi David - may sound like a silly question and sorry in advance but how do you reposition the striker plate/bar? I had a quick look and this seems fixed with no option to move/adjust? thanks!!
Bal

Back