Fitting a slatted Grille -questions

Rich2508

I have just got one of the later style slatted grilles to replace my smooth one.

It has arrived all complete, attached to its chrome surround. I have done quite a bit of searching and most things relate to opposite swaps or trying to fit the slats into the older chrome surround.

Can anyone confirm exactly what I will need to do, looks like I have some small bolts with it and will I need to swap over the release catch from the old grille to ensure the new one releases properly? I read one post which had a problem which this fixed but no more confirmation that you must do it.

Also, have they sent me more than I need, seem to have the whole assembly not just the chrome surround in its own and the slatted flap?

4dc9aefcabe4db7b0194b634fa497da2_zpspeitrudw.jpg

f703417128b7a744c2362367ffe084a1_zpsay54zxa2.jpg

The surround is distinct to the grill. You CAN mix them ( I have), but it's not that easy. The profile is different, too. The slatted grill has a flat profile whilst the slatted slopes inwards towards the grill. There's lots on the A2OC about grilles, even regarding a composite of the grill and surround. The way the two grill assembly's are mounted is different but that shouldn't be a problem. Just look at the assembly that you've received and it should be pretty obvious how to mount it? ( and how to remove yours)

David

Thanks for help, hadn't seen the PDF guide in my searches, but what confuses me now I have read it is that it talks about cutting 50mm from the mounting bar, which hasn't been mentioned in anything else I have read. Is that correct?

Thanks for all your help, using the guides was really straightforward, the two small bolts that came with the new grille fitted straight onto the back of the bar. No cutting needed.

Only issue is the bonnet release won't pop without someone pulling on cable and then me using a plastic trim tool to gently prise the grille open. Tried swapping the catch from the old grille and adjusting the catch in different positions but no success.

Still only a small issue and may look at it again when have more time. Very pleased with the looks though, can't wait for my A1 S-line alloys to arrive now.

Before

b2d334d6f3eadd8b4852a6597c0cbdd4_zpsz9eb02ax.jpg

After

16163f5c12445cc3317ce182a5b0c00d_zps7yu0jbld.jpg

Last edited:
I've always preferred the smooth grill and my preference has not changed looking at your comparison photos. It just goes down to personal appeal. My grill is not only "smooth" but doesn't even have the Audi rings raised above the surface. The emblem is back-lit with blue LED's. It's on the Forum.

David

Back