"For sale" threads with no pricing.

Dave M

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
Past experience has proved that "for sale" threads with no prices listed can sometimes result in arguments and handbags between members. This isn,t condusive to a friendly atmosphere within the spirit of our club.

When a for sale thread is newly listed an email is automatically sent to moderators so that the advertisement can be vetted to ensure it complies with market place rules.

In future a thread with no price will be "unapproved" and a PM sent to the seller to name a price. Once a price is listed then the thread will be reinstated. Sorry if this appears to be slightly "heavy handed" but there are good reasons as to why we have this rule.

Many thanks

Dave. :)

There was one for sale thread on here recently with a price. I made an enquiry and the price increased, it was then withdrawn from sale only to be advertised on another site two grand above the original asking price so perhaps it's just greed that motivates sellers not to commit to a price in case they undervalue.

They may also be anything but an genuine A2 fan/enthusiast,might they be Arthur Daley's?! I'm only on 3 forums but have to say i'm not keen on the dichotomy of views as you never know which person is a enthusiast or a dealer.It get's rather confusing at times to get a true handle of things.

They may also be anything but an genuine A2 fan/enthusiast,might they be Arthur Daley's?! I'm only on 3 forums but have to say i'm not keen on the dichotomy of views as you never know which person is a enthusiast or a dealer.It get's rather confusing at times to get a true handle of things.

... which is why on some forums, one has to achieve a certain number of posts before being permitted to post a 'for sale' in the classifieds section

... which is why on some forums, one has to achieve a certain number of posts before being permitted to post a 'for sale' in the classifieds section

We tried that, but all you have to do is to then post lots of posts saying things like "I like that" or "tell me more" and then they have the required number of posts, whereas GENUINE people with a really nice item for sale would probably have sold the item elsewhere by the time they got their genuine post count up. A mandatory post count only hampers the genuine sellers!

It is not as easy to come up with a solution as you would think!

Steve B

Last edited:
The local rag used to have (T) marked next to any adverts if they were traders and making money from anything.
Just putting it out there

We have to be careful about having lots of rules that don't actually result in any significant benefit.

We have lots of members that sell parts. They are not traders and in my view forcing them to have a (T) is not right.

New members that are traders would would not be obvious until they have posted many adverts.

Also if someone has something for sale that I want to buy, it wouldn't bother me if they had a (T) or not.

This is a club and not a business and so we really shouldn't have lots of restrictions that make it too formal.

Just my view

steve B

Last edited:
We have to be careful about having lots of rules that don't actually result in any significant benefit.

We have lots of members that sell parts. They are not traders and in my view forcing them to have a (T) is not right.

New members that are traders would would not be obvious until they have posted many adverts.

Also if someone has something for sale that I want to buy, it wouldn't bother me if they had a (T) or not.

This is a club and not a business and so we really shouldn't have lots of restrictions that make it too formal.

Just my view

steve B

Members selling bits is a big difference from someone selling stuff for scene tax,A trader would have to give a reciept and a warranty

Might as well leave it as it is then unless someone has a more sensible Idea.

again just putting it out there.

I cant see any reason someone can litigate from buying on a fourm from a private member The paying of Tax on Profit is their problem?

Last edited:
Mine is a strange situation. Every car I have bought as a breaker has been bought first and foremost to supply me with some parts that I have needed for my project.

I then sell the remaining parts on the club to recover the cost of buying the car in the first place. I don't buy from places like co-part etc but buy from private sales and therefore pay quite a lot for each car. I've paid over a grand for one breaker because it's had a specific part I needed for my car.

I think the situation works well because I charge a pittance for some parts in comparison with commercial breakers on places like ebay.

This therefore means that my highly specced project A2 has barely cost me anything to modify.

Is this classed as a profit?

Last edited:
Mine is a strange situation. Every car I have bought as a breaker has been bought first and foremost to supply me with some parts that I have needed for my project.

I then sell the remaining parts on the club to recover the cost of buying the car in the first place. I think it's quite clear this is the case with the prices I charge for parts.

This therefore means that my highly specced project A2 has barely cost me anything to modify.

Is this classed as a profit?

Not by me Steve. You provide a valuable service for all those that can't do what you do.

Steve I would Class it as a Hobby covering your Outlay,its how I would explain it if required By anyone.
If people were so inclined they could have a buy link such as Ebay which would then offer warranty buyer Protection.
It was meant more for Members who come and go that no Have No repute

In my opinion nothing should appear in the selling section without a price stated.
Also no " i might be selling or how much is it worth adds? " which seem to be creeping in of late.
For sale means, for sale with a price stated ! !

Ive been keeping an eye on these so called "fishing" threads. I couldn,t determine as to whether or not they were genuine member requests for help in relation to pricing so ive been moving them from their listed "general section" into the "for sale" threads. Hopefully this may sort the serious from the non serious. :confused:

Last edited:
The Coffee Forums http://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum.php have a separate Valuations forum, with the For Sale or Swap forum having the rule that all posts must have a price.

In fact they have quite a few sensible rules regarding selling, no doubt because of previous bad experiences, e.g. discussions about the pros and cons of an item listed for sale are not permitted. The downside is the more rules there are, the more admin time policing the rules consumes

Back