Center hub nut size

Craig

Afternoon, anyone know the size of the center wheel hub nut is? I was just about to take the drive shaft off but havent got a socket big enough :rolleyes: It's obviously bigger than my 32mm socket :p

Cheers

Hi,

It's a 36mm Bi-Hex thin wall.

Torque settings are:-
Front - 120Nm
Rear - 70Nm + a further 30°

Always use a new nut as they are one-time use only.

Cheers
Jeff

Last edited:
be careful when you buy as i bought the right size but the shoulder thickness was to big to fit the outer hole size (hope this makes sense) £8 wasted and time to get another one

Just spoke with Cheshire Oaks Audi & he's just said there machanics use a normal 36mm socket but after baguln's post & Jeff's confirmation think I'll get the thin wall socket
Any links to where to buy?? If your reading this Paul please advise where you got your socket from

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Just spoke with Cheshire Oaks Audi & he's just said there machanics use a normal 36mm socket but after baguln's post & Jeff's confirmation think I'll get the thin wall socket
Any links to where to buy?? If your reading this Paul please advise where you got your socket from 

Hi

There are a few on eBay such as this one for £11.50
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-627...473634?hash=item51e41d41e2:g:BWAAAOSw~oFXIOCK

Steve B

No problem Steve, it could work but if it didn't it would be a waste of money!

I can confirm that the Laser 36mm 12 point socket will work, however you need to either turn (lathe) or grind about 0.3mm of the outside Dia of the socket, without doing so the socket will not fit in the front hub of the A2 and therefore does not engage with the nut.
I got mine from Andrew Page I think it was £10, then found I needed to skim a little of the O/D, I did have a ring around the motor factors before I modified the socket, but they were all offering the same socket

Thanks spike I'll keep that in mind
On an update on the hub nut I went to a couple of local tool shops & tried a few sockets & the 36mm wide fitting one fitted strangely here's why, it seems someone has changed the nut down the line & to my horror the hub nut is finger tight
Does this nut look OEM?

IMG_20170117_130947.jpg

IMG_20170117_130942.jpg

Nut looks OEM but it has "barbs" on the inner to prevent them working loose which is why they are one time use only.

Thanks Paul, I also thought it wasn't screwed in enough going by the amount of thread left!
I've also ordered 2 new nuts for refitting

New nuts (ahem) & socket (machined down) ready for tomorrow's work

IMG_20170117_182641.jpg

IMG_20170117_194848.jpg

Satisfaction of not paying any labour rates
But yes I love fixing my car knowing it's safe & running right

The drive shaft nut is torqued to about the same as a wheel nut (from memory), nothing like the 1980's Audi 80/90/100 where you needed a breaker bar and a length of scaffolding tube to get the bloody nut undone :)

Audi must have changed the bearing designed on the circa 2000 cars (A2 included) as the drive shaft nut is now only securing the drive shaft into the hub assy, in the 1908's Audi's the drive shaft nut pre loaded the front wheel bearing, it was about 330lbft from my very bad memory compared to the A2 which is about 80lbft

However if the nut was 'finger tight' that is not good and suggests that someone else as had the drive shaft nut off.

Once other thing to look out for, Audi 'bond' the drive shaft into the hub to stop 'fretting' however this makes removal of the drive shaft difficult, I needed to borrow an hydraulic puller to push out the drive shaft. I would never have moved it with an hammer and drift it was mega tight.

Back