CAM Belt - Help? Costs etc

andyvegas

Hey y'all,

Hope anyone/everyone reading this is well. I have my 52 plate 1.6FSI A2 with only 65K miles (genuine) to run around in. i had a service today - £480 for a larger service replacing brake discs and fan belt but i was also made aware that the Cam belt may need changing as hasnt so far and they should every 5 years. Does this sound right bearing in mind age of car and low miles done? Also, the quote for this was £460!

the MOT flew through with Audi 5 months back with a advisory on the brake discs but suddenly the service at a local garage has me facing a 1K bill. Is that right for a Cam belt change? Or is there anyone with any recommendations in Herts/Essex area?

thanks! :)

they are correct the belt is changed more on age than mileage, the rubber that the belt is made from deteriorates with age (and more quickly with oil contamination)
If it breaks there is MAJOR engine damage, hence the rule is change at 5 years. Some belts will last much longer than 5 years, but you are on borrowed time after 5 years, some say change it after 3 to be on the safe side, but I think 5 years is fine myself.

As for the £460 for the belt change, I have never done an FSI belt, but done plenty of other cars, the belt alone is about £30 plus tensioner and water pump, so say £100 max, I would guestimate 4 hours labour, so whilst at first is seems a lot, when you add the garages labour it does not seem to bad, a little high, but not that bad
It is a DIY job if you are ok with the spanners

Hi - I would say that it's much more than £100 max for cambelt kit and waterpump on a twin cam engine as two tensioners and two rollers. Nearer to £200 with water pump as changed a few times on my 1.4 petrol so price is not too far away from a dealer.

Cheers Dave

quick ebay search, check out this number on ebay 262734023485 this is a Gates kit which is comparable with OEM (I believe Audi use 'Gates' belts)
Cost £98

Hi - fitted a full Gates kit to my 1.4 petrol previously and while the belt may be original equipment not sure about the tensioner and the water pump definitely won,t be. Replaced by genuine Audi and much better. You pay your money and make your choice. In my opinion something so critical to engine life is not worth risking.

Cheers Dave

I'm needing to replace the cam belt. I see that a tensioner and water pump are advisable at the same time (and that perhaps VAG genuine water pumps are preferred? Any comments?)
Quoted about £400 from a local independent.

Is there anything else engine-ey that I should ask to replace at the same time?

I'm going to ask for gearbox oil and thermostat and front top mount bearings so it's going to be pricey anyway...

Ps.
An old thread but I didn't want to clutter the topics with my drivel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£350 from my local VAG independent (Manchester).
It is possible you could get it done cheaper than £400 in or around Glasgow.

Thanks sunsurfer. The price seemed reasonable for the work I think from your comments and from looking at the history here. I'm just wondering If there are other things which are cheaper to replace at the same time. :)

The water pump and belt tensioner are apparently best replaced at the same time as the cambelt - anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back