Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FSI Hesitation - Finally got VCDS

Already replaced together with the LP fuel pressure regulator.
    1.6 FSI. COBALT BLUE, S-line, OSS (Working), half leather sport seats, Cruise Control, Dis, ACC, Front Electric windows, Alarm
    My mods: Seat Heating, Osram LED DRL/Fog lights,
    Projector HID headlights, VALEO Light sensor, reinstalled Consert II, S-line 17" wheels, Koni FSD and ST Lowering Springs (Rebranded Weitec), RemoteKey comfort controller, detachable tow-bar, EBC Green pads and EBC slotted discs.

1.4 Tdi 90. EBONY BLACK, 120Hp/300Nm, OSS (Working), ACC, Sport Seats, Seat Heating, Front Electric windows, 4 speakers, Chorus ll with CD changer,Alarm
    , Bolero S-line 17" wheel.

My vehicles:
    Audi A2 1.4 Tdi 90 -2004, Audi A2 1.6 FSI -2003, Audi A7 3.0 Q TFSI -2011, Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec AMG -2015

Quote Originally Posted by Topsie View Post
    To Do

I'm yet to replace the rocker cover (weather has been terrible) but I will make a video of my method as a mistake here can easily block an oil gallery and starve the top end.

Test and replace the air intake flap solenoid (The flap is free to move, the arm intact)

Replace timing belt and ensure timing is spot on.

Test and post results - next step if no success is the removal and testing of injectors.

Nick
    So a bit of an update...

Rocker cover replaced - I was a little worried about replacing the rocker cover, I used Elring 300 degrees silicon sealant (I'll update a little later with the exact details) which was relatively easy to work with, albeit a little expensive. I placed a thin bead on the area's as shown in the A2 service manual (found online) and then spread with an old bank card. I then cleared from any areas that shouldn't have any and ensured oil galleries were clear. I didn't use a torque wrench for the rocker cover bolts (10Nm) but relied on my trusty calibrated arm!

Timing was checked and double checked upon replacement, turned until the chamfered tooth met the marker on the bottom pully and the timing tools (1/4" extension bars fit nicely) are free to be fitted.

She took a while to start (HP Fuel Pump was empty) but fired up quite nicely, however it seemed like there was no noticeable difference, though I no longer have any codes for the inlet cam timing.

However, upon receipt of a second hand solenoid valve (£7.50 opposed to £68!!) and a quick swap, i'm happy to report a vast improvement - I really didn't expect the intake flap to make much of a difference - but it really does.

I've gone from an average of 28mpg to 37mpg and the car now feels much more responsive in lower rev ranges - however i'm still suffering from hesitation, there are no fault codes however if you goto the measuring blocks for misfire counting, cylinder 3 (and only cylinder 3) is counting up misfires at an alarming rate (just not enough to throw a code)

I've got a week off in May when i'll whip off the inlet manifold and send off the injectors for testing and ultrasonic cleaning.

Nick
    2003 Audi A2 1.6 FSI Sport | Climate Control | Front Fogs | Headlight Cleaners | Heated Mirrors & Windscreen Washer Jets | Heated Seats | Symphony II | Vanity Mirrors | PDC | Rear Electric Windows | Auto-Dim Rear View Mirror | DIS | Working OSS | Rear Cup Holder

3. 4 users that liked this post:

a2sumo (20-03-2017), mrbroons (20-03-2017), Teresa (21-03-2017), VirtualBrown (23-03-2017)

Glad you have some improvement, just picked up a new solenoid valve from Audi today hope to fit it tomorrow but I did pay £69....

Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ebony Black 1.6 FSI

What's the part nr. of that solenoid, please ?
    2003 1.6 FSI Ebony black, red leather, Climatronic, OpenSky, Bose, CD changer, DIS, cruise control, auto-dim mirror, 4 el. windows, alarm, false floor, collapsible spare wh.
    Retrofit&mods: Votex bodykit, 17" Rotor alloys+Potenza RE002, Koni Sport front/FSD rear, S-line springs, Whiteline rARB, heated mirrors, komfortblinker, auto-lights, RNS-E mk2, TT alu pedals, front fogs, parking sensors, rear drink holder

sold: 2001 1.4i Pine Green, beige leather, OpenSky, Climatronic, fogs, 16" alloys

Intake manifold flap air flow control valve N316. Part number: 037 906 283 D
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intake manifold control valve-schematics.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	27875
    1.6 FSI. COBALT BLUE, S-line, OSS (Working), half leather sport seats, Cruise Control, Dis, ACC, Front Electric windows, Alarm
    My mods: Seat Heating, Osram LED DRL/Fog lights,
    Projector HID headlights, VALEO Light sensor, reinstalled Consert II, S-line 17" wheels, Koni FSD and ST Lowering Springs (Rebranded Weitec), RemoteKey comfort controller, detachable tow-bar, EBC Green pads and EBC slotted discs.

1.4 Tdi 90. EBONY BLACK, 120Hp/300Nm, OSS (Working), ACC, Sport Seats, Seat Heating, Front Electric windows, 4 speakers, Chorus ll with CD changer,Alarm
    , Bolero S-line 17" wheel.

My vehicles:
    Audi A2 1.4 Tdi 90 -2004, Audi A2 1.6 FSI -2003, Audi A7 3.0 Q TFSI -2011, Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec AMG -2015

7. Users that liked this post:

Louis (27-03-2017)

Thank you
    2003 1.6 FSI Ebony black, red leather, Climatronic, OpenSky, Bose, CD changer, DIS, cruise control, auto-dim mirror, 4 el. windows, alarm, false floor, collapsible spare wh.
    Retrofit&mods: Votex bodykit, 17" Rotor alloys+Potenza RE002, Koni Sport front/FSD rear, S-line springs, Whiteline rARB, heated mirrors, komfortblinker, auto-lights, RNS-E mk2, TT alu pedals, front fogs, parking sensors, rear drink holder

sold: 2001 1.4i Pine Green, beige leather, OpenSky, Climatronic, fogs, 16" alloys

The above part appears to have fixed my problem, drives great now such a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ebony Black 1.6 FSI

10. Users that liked this post:

Topsie (27-03-2017)

I think people underestimate (including myself) how integral the intake flap is to the FSI engine...

My A2 has now developed a misfrie on cylinder 2 & 3, I've swapped over the coils and checked the plugs - all fine. Carried out a compression test and had 18-17-17-17 Bar (1-2-3-4) so it's got to be the injectors, nothing else it can be!!
    2003 Audi A2 1.6 FSI Sport | Climate Control | Front Fogs | Headlight Cleaners | Heated Mirrors & Windscreen Washer Jets | Heated Seats | Symphony II | Vanity Mirrors | PDC | Rear Electric Windows | Auto-Dim Rear View Mirror | DIS | Working OSS | Rear Cup Holder

12. Users that liked this post:

steaman (27-03-2017)

Topsie you checked your coil plug wiring? When I unwrapped mine I had sorts and all sorts, fixed them all and redid the loom better than factory it in my thread in members cars I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ebony Black 1.6 FSI

14. 3 users that liked this post:

JIGSAW (28-03-2017), steaman (28-03-2017), Topsie (28-03-2017)

I haven't, I'll unwrap it all and take a look - appreciate the heads up!