How do you remove the exterior door handles ?

A2!

As the title says: how do you remove the exterior door handles? I've nothing wrong with them just a few crazy future ideas in my head so was just wondering. It is just a case of taking the door cards off and removing screws and clips or is it a fiddly mess ?

Thanks

Euan

Sent from my iRULU_V3 using Tapatalk

Morning Euan,

There are a few how to's on the forum for the work you're planning. Search microswitch removal (better results from a google search then follow the links into the Forum)

I recently done this work which involved removing the drivers door handle but I understand the process is the same regardless of what dooor you attack.

It actually isn't a long job and I found this YouTube clips most helpful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pzxGY4N6Aew

Any questions please just ask as I've only recently completed the drivers door strip down and rebuild.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evan,

Hopefully someone will be along to confirm the minimal work involved in just removing the exterior handles.

If you watch the YouTube clip you'll see how to release/remove the rear of the handle (the cover where the lock/unlock barrel is) and the actual handle is pulled forward and comes away. There is a screw on the inside of the door handle (remove door card and alloy cover to access it) but not sure if this has to be removed to release just the handle.

The reason I recently done this work was to replace the drivers door microswitch so I had to remove everything.

Like I said, hopefully someone will confirm that you can do the less involved process if its just the handles you want to remove.

This link is to the Grim Reapers album on changing a rear door microswitch which might help show the slight differences between front and rear.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/album.php?albumid=112

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: A2!
Yeah, it looks like I might not need to take the back off. I was wanting to know with regard to wrapping parts of the car and I'd need those handles off some how.

Thanks again for the help!

Euan

Sent from my iRULU_V3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Euan,

No problems. Id be interested to know myself if it is that easy to remove just the handles. I've often thought of wrapping the handles in chrome or buying the covers. As my hobby is black I was thinking of also wrapping the wing mirrors and the protruding strips on the bottom of the doors. Chrome on the black should look good but wasn't too sure of how the final look would be, it maybe just too much for a 2003 car.

Good luck with the handles.

Kind regards,

Tom

Reactions: A2!
Euan,

No problems. Id be interested to know myself if it is that easy to remove just the handles. I've often thought of wrapping the handles in chrome or buying the covers. As my hobby is black I was thinking of also wrapping the wing mirrors and the protruding strips on the bottom of the doors. Chrome on the black should look good but wasn't too sure of how the final look would be, it maybe just too much for a 2003 car.

Good luck with the handles.

Kind regards,

Tom

I had the mirrors wrapped in Chrome for a while on "the project" but I removed the wrap within a couple of weeks.

The main problem is that the chrome wrapping material is not as "Stretchy" as normal wraps and so they had to do the mirror in three strips and you DO see the joins. The effect was nice but, even though I am not OCD I couldn't put up with the edges that started to come away or the joins that were visible (to me)

Steve B

Thanks for the warning Steve. I do remember reading this being an issue on a thread a while ago. I'll stop the thought 'chroming' the mirrors for now until a different solution comes along.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks for the warning Steve. I do remember reading this being an issue on a thread a while ago. I'll stop the thought 'chroming' the mirrors for now until a different solution comes along.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Tom
Apparently, the "brushed aluminium" wrap is not bad!!

I had the door "blades" painted silver and even though it sounds naff it actually looked like it was brushed aluminium, so much so that I once advertised them as such!!!

My Daughter's black TDI had them on. It also looked GREAT with the S3 17" wheels on it (in my view)

Black Audi A2 tdi Rear quarter drive.JPG

Steve B

there are a couple of paints that can look very, very good (see pocoloco's doorblades, mirrors, air intake for samples).

- Bret

Back