Bert - 1.4Tdi//FSi Colour Storm OSS

Muska

A2OC Donor
Bert - 1.4Tdi

This is Bert, my 2001 1.4 Tdi

32449302581_f9593fb67d_b.jpg

he's just ticked over 194'000 today on a journey back from the Yorkshire Dales where he is looking like he will return my best MPG figure ever (360 miles on this tank and 1/4 left!)

32074887444_0caa18a396_b.jpg

32103025923_b3163ec3e3_b.jpg

Still scrubs up pretty well doesn't he!

I've owned him almost 3 years now, and although he's never really required much during that time certain parts are getting a bit tired now. The S3 wheels are a more recent addition, I think they freshen up an A2 nicely.

The next few things on the agenda:

Complete refresh of front & rear suspension & 30mm lowering

Front pads and discs

Drivers door check strap

Replace fuel temp sensor

Full service

Once all this is done there are a few other things I would like to do/add, as I intend to keep him for the long term as a commuter but I'll focus on this for now.

I did already have Timmus retrofit Cruise control for me, he did a cracking job and I wouldn't be without it now, it made the 2.5 hour journey north and back a much more pleasant experience :D

I'll try and update here when things are being fixed and throw another picture or two up ;)

Last edited:
Those wheels look great, and a fine part of the country to take the car to. Notice you are from Staffordshire, whereabouts as probably not too fat from me just into South Derbyshire?

Thanks, I'm in Armitage near Rugeley so not too far at all. :)

I've only ever seen one other A2 around here, a yellow Colour Storm.

This one is ours, we see another four locally. I know there is someone with a concours red Colour Storm in the area as its been at the Lichfield car show a few times.

Yours looks very tidy indeed, I will try to make it along to the Lichfield show next time it's on.

Thanks Andrew, I'll certainly give it a bit more reading before deciding but I just feel it would help close the arch gap a little without trying to look dropped on the floor :)

Yours looks very tidy indeed, I will try to make it along to the Lichfield show next time it's on.

Thanks Andrew, I'll certainly give it a bit more reading before deciding but I just feel it would help close the arch gap a little without trying to look dropped on the floor :)

I used -25mm lowering springs on mine

I worried that it might not be enough but it was plenty. So perhaps if you used 25mm drop ionstead of 30 it might give you the lowered look without it looking too excessive.

Steve B

19 side 1 .jpg

Mine is on its bum bum, only problem is the mud flaps are 40mm off the floor and only catch the short humpy bumps , but it does change the look and handling dramatically
fbf33a5a20cc42ac00753b66ddb4fc2f.jpg

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Mine is on its bum bum, only problem is the mud flaps are 40mm off the floor and only catch the short humpy bumps , but it does change the look and handling dramatically

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Nice, that is very low, I suspect that is something like a 30mm drop at least? Is that right?

Steve B

Wheel size makes a big difference too. Here's mine lowered 25 mm on 18's before I fitted the votex kit.

jiytli.jpg

Thanks Akeel, that sounds like it would be lower than my mud flaps would like with the roads I have to travel! Looks great though!

Steve, If I can get close to the look you have there that would be perfect for me. I think I'll look into 25mm instead.

Early last week I received a text from Timmus who remembered me mentioning that I liked his sports seats and would be searching for a set myself. He had a set in storage and a date was struck to fit them over at WOM yesterday as he would be in the area and I was off work.

Top service from Tom as ever, he also fitted me a new rear window winder as I had smashed mine, probably when moving house last year and while fitting the loom for the electric lumbar support I had ample time to give the car a full hoover inside. Had a great chat about the differences in chassis between an OS A2/non OS, I had no idea there were two different chassis. Tom also offered to swap my check strap over on the drivers door which I've bought through the group buy but they're not sent out as of yet. I'm really really impressed with Tom's work and service, I can't recommend him enough and will no doubt see him for some other work in the near future :)

After the fitting, he & the chaps from WOM kindly put Bert up on the ramp and gave him a full look over. A couple of things were spotted and pointed out to me, and Marcus kindly swapped my MAF back to facing the correct direction (no idea how it got the wrong way around!) I could be wrong but since it was swapped back the car seems like it struggles less at low rpm, slow speed humps in 2nd gear no longer want to shake my fillings out! :D I chatted with Rob for a while about the A2 1.2's they have had previously and about the suspension refresh I'm working towards (stop selling me things I want Tom! :p ) I was given a good price on labor from the chaps at WOM so hopefully by the end of the month I'll be booking in with them :cool:

32786090420_6e0034c8ee_b.jpg

Excuse the poor picture, it's been raining non stop this week! I love the look of the seats, the deeper bolsters are really comfortable and look nicer in the cabin too. The pattern on the seats reminds me of the 80's/90's VW's I have owned :)

My recent trip around the Yorkshire Dales netted me 63.5mpg, maybe with a correctly functioning MAF I can beat that now!

Finally, I have a sports steering wheel and air bag arriving this week from Steve. :)

Last edited:
Only a small update but Bert had his MOT last week and passed first time!

I'm still planning a suspension refresh but my imminent wedding is delaying it. Just ticked over 197'000 and all going strong (touch wood!)

Small update,

A couple of nights ago I officially joined the 200k club :D To celebrate I have booked into WOM for a full service and cambelt change.

Other than that I have fixed a couple of small things, jacking point covers on the driver side, wing mirror glass I cracked when changing back from non OEM heated glass and a passenger dash vent (thanks to A2Steve)

Next plans will be to (finally, now my wedding is all done!) crack on with the suspension refresh and maybe put a few EU miles on the car with a drive over to Belgium.

Hi Muska,
You are starting to catch me up, you only have another 87500 miles to go :)
Amazing to think that Audi marketed the A2 as a 'town car' and mine as been to the moon and is part way back, your is nearing it journey to the moon, be sure to give me a wave as we pass in space :eek:

A small recap of what I've been up to with Bert lately.

First on the list was fixing the fuel flap. I thought originally the solinoid had failed but on Tom's first visit to me the broken switch could be heard to activate the solinoid still, so after a bit of digging behind the boot panel it became clear that the black bracket that is attached to the actuating arm was broken and not staying clipped on. A2Steve to the rescue, and a 5min fix means it's working as intended again.

36516588676_fc66ce8a05_b.jpg

Whilst I was doing that I also fitted switches that had not fallen apart.

Nearside rear light cluster was cracked, and in honesty had been since I bought the car, Steve had a nice one on offer and it's tidied the back up nicely.

36394699472_c9e5102523_b.jpg

I really liked the look of Birchalls auto headlight mod, so I purchased a kit from him and at the minute I have the unit temp fitted while I finish the Dremel work on the housing. I'm most of the way there, but trying to take my time and do a neat job.

36563048355_2995acf021_b.jpg

It's a really nice mod, very satisfying when the light comes on in a tunnel, or at night when you unlock the car or get home late.

Some of the switch work in my car had suffered badly from wear. Not uncommon in an A2, but the previous owner had taken it upon themselves to apply black nail varnish to any affected switches! It's looked frankly, crap! Steve to the rescue again with hard touch switches for drivers and passengers window.

36563048275_5fb443f045_b.jpg

Akeel put up an immaculate climate panel

35753739083_fe5943e673_b.jpg

Just need a head unit to finish off the painted switchwork.

Crew Audi supplied me with some parts for my A2 Genuine roof bars. They now have new end caps, new locks and weather strips. I'm just looking into having the aluminium section powder coated black. (No pics to hand, sorry)

Finally, someone on these forums listed a rear cup holder with all brackets, as these seem to be getting rare I pounced on it.

35753738963_0c22ff8bac_b.jpg

Very happy with it, just need the front tray now.

Had a proper detailing session ahead of AITP, which although I was pleased with how well he scrubs up for 200k+ you do notice every paint defect/poor paint repair so I am considering doing something about it down the line.

Next will be a trip to Belgium at the end of the month to go watch the Grand Prix, stretch his legs a bit over in Europe. On return I'll be booking in with WOM again for some new discs and pads and a couple of other small jobs. Then it's onto suspension... I've been saying that for a while now, so looking forward to getting cracked on with it. I'm also hopeful that I'll have enough spare to purchase an 'A2' plate this month, I've certainly put the hours in at work so hopefully the pay packet reflects that! Will be investigating the remap mentioned in the forum's also.

Still really loving my A2, I'll be continuing my plans for freshening things up and adding bits and pieces, aiming for a sort of OEM+ feel.

Would anyone happen to know if/where there is a reverse sensing switch that engages the reverse lights? My Reverse lights appear to be on constantly! :confused:

Back