New Emissions charge in London

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the heads up.

I have enquired (as an example) about how this affects a post 2001 TDI and 1.6 FSI.

I suspect that they may be ok but no harm in checking.

But it does state clearly that if your car is prior to 1st Jan 2001 it will need the surcharge to be paid for each journey into the Congestion zone. That is £21.50 to drive into London !!!!!

But hopefully any A2 after Jan 2001 should be ok (we will see)

Steve B

Last edited:
Does anybody know which engines - both petrol and diesel - meet the Euro IV standards?
The guidelines clearly state cars registered before January 1st 2001 have to pay the emission charge but between 2001-2007 (all A2s) it is unclear.

Does anybody know which engines - both petrol and diesel - meet the Euro IV standards?
The guidelines clearly state cars registered before January 1st 2001 have to pay the emission charge but between 2001-2007 (all A2s) it is unclear.

As I said above, I have contacted DVLA to ask that very question, as soon as they reply I will let you know for sure.

Steve B

Having looked at the A2 Wiki, I'm fairly sure that only TDi engine types BHC (75 hp) ATL (90 hp) and the 1.2 (3L) are Euro 4 compliant.

All AMF engines will be Euro 3 and for reference the BHC engine was introduced late 2003

Cheers Spike

Having looked at the A2 Wiki, I'm fairly sure that only TDi engine types BHC (75 hp) ATL (90 hp) and the 1.2 (3L) are Euro 4 compliant.

All AMF engines will be Euro 3 and for reference the BHC engine was introduced late 2003

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike (as ever)

But I wonder if the DVLA will consider the engine code rather than just the CC and fuel type.

I think your breakdown of the types is 100% correct, but the DVLA are not known for their accuracy when it comes to things like that, unless there is a database somewhere that indicates the compliance to Euro 4 by engine code or Reg number?.

I have asked them about a tdi 90 and a 1.6 FSI, if someone else can enquire about the tdi 75 and 1.4 petrol then we will have the full details.

Steve B

Parkers list the following#

1.4 Petrol Euro Emissions 4
1.4 TDI 75 Euro Emmision 4
1.4 TDI 90 Euro Emmision 4

1.6 FSI Petrol Euro Emmision 4

So that wasn't much help, but their data is supposed to be reliable!

It even states that for model years 2000 to 2005 (when pre 2001 will definitely not qualify as exempt)

Steve B

Taken from Audi's official 2004 price list - all Euro 4 latterly anyway.

Emissions.png

Hi Darren,

That is good, so the Parkers site may well have been correct.

So that means it is only those registered in 1999 and 2000 that will attract the extra charge!

Yet another plus for the A2 design!

Steve B

Last edited:
This looks like good news. I have a 2005 reg 1.4 TDi, and although I don't live in London it is only a matter of time till cities like Edinburgh where I do drive follow suit. I shall follow this thread carefully until we have a definitive answer, as I would prefer to hang onto my A2 for some years yet.

Most German A2's have the Green Euro 4 stickers

Back in 2010 I managed to get only a yellow sticker.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...-Environmental-Permit&highlight=german+permit

Rereading the thread with Bret's informative postings, and it's down to the fact that German vehicles have a lot more technical information on their registration documents. So with foreign cars they use a simpler rule: is it green permit from 1 Jan 2006, yellow before, unless additional information can be provided and an official is prepared to look at it, rather than rubber stamp a yellow.

What the thread shows is the complex (in Germany at least) technical requirements and documentation, interpretation by officials, and the problem because Audi gave the authorities incorrect technical information. Let's hope the UK rules and procedures are simpler!

Hi Spike,

Checked today and all our 1.2Tdi's meet the requirements, not because they are Euro 4 but because their Euro 3 emissions are below the Euro 4 limits here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards

In Germany, the Lupo's both qualify for the green card but not the A2 although you can get a green card for the latter if you apply to a particular TUV office as the A2 (with A/C and PAS, unlike the Lupos) meets the German standard D4.

My wife's 1999 Lupo must be just about the oldest qualifier!

RAB

I had a reply today from TFL.

They state that a TDI 90 is NOT subject to the additional surcharge.

In the same letter I asked about a 2002 FSI and strangely enough they simply said they will respond about this other car (the Audi A2 FSI 1.6) in a separate mail!!!!

Strange, perhaps THEY are having trouble finding out too!!!

View attachment TfL response - Ref174430.pdf

Steve B

50% of ALL UK urban NOx from Euro 1-3 Petrol cars

Plenty of anti diesel stuff in UK & US media but DEFRA roadside testing 2014 with number plate and DVLA info resulted in earlier petrol cars being worse than diesel for NOx. However, post 2005 diesels have increased NOx whilst reducing PM (DPF). Modern petrols have no PF so GDI ones emit 10x PM2.5 of Euro 6 diesel.

Things will only tighten up in the next few years but I have an idea to update the A2 petrols! .......

Option Code 0GG = Emission Standard EU4

Hi All

Last Thursday idly waiting for storm Doris to abate I put my A2 1.6 FSI option codes
from the service record through http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx

No surprises, (I even have 'No Hot Country Features!!), but I noticed if we trust the website

Option Code 0GG = Emission Standard EU4.

Noticed as well that Kaismummy's A2 in thread 'Battery light flickering' has EU3.

Changing the second G for something else produces other emission standards.

Andy

[Alas, I do not have option code E0G !!!]

Good find. Never thought there would be an option code for emissions

My 2001 TDi with AMF engine is 'OGE' - which confirms it's Euro3

Cheers Spike

Mine's AMF too. So how come we're getting Euro3 and not Euro4?

I think I remember Hans of A2-freun.de mentioning a dpf addition would get us to EuroIV.

Back