Rattly Gearstick... Arghhhh!!

Rince

Ok, this has gone on long enough

Does anyone know how I can cure the gear stick rattling when in neutral?

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy

I would bet that if you move the gear lever to one side or the other (just slightly) it stops?

If that is what happens then try adjusting the gear linkage cables. It is easy enough and done from the engine bay and not from underneath the car.

Check out the "how to" index page for a link to a you tube video showing how it is done.

Steve B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id also advise greasing , lube spraying the gearbox mechanisms and selector shaft and arms ontop of the gearbox, also on the cable ends there are ball joints that may have become dry as my new tdi im running had the same issue, even after adjusting the gear cables it was still shaking the lever slightly until i greased everything up

I have the same problem, and tried the adjustment, and greasing (on the shift lever side), but the problem persists. Maybe the grease was too light/thin? A 'white lithium ptfe' grease from a spray can. What kind of grease would be best?

try the pivot at gearbox end this moves between gates and was the cause of my gearchange problems and preventing the stick returning to centre , it is easily removed by 1 retaining clip then push the pin through, I cleaned the pin with wire wool and wd40 and plenty of grease where plastic bushes are , also if bushes are worn then there will be slop in gear stick

mark

My gearstick started rattling a lot at around 150,000 and it was down to the original clutch and DMF wearing out and nearly seizing. Had them replaced in the nick of time at A2 cars no more rattling or jerking side to side of the gearstick now. :)

I had it the same in my 1.4 75 and to a lesser extent in my 1.4 90 now. Gets worse with age and I imagine it's something in the link between gear lever and box becoming dry hence tapping the lever sideways unsticks it and stops the rattle. I'm just used to it :)

Back