Cluster not displaying information anymore

grimchuck

Hello,

Yesterday morning when I parked my car at work everything was working fine. When I left after work I realize that my cluster was not displaying any information anymore. I always had few dead pixels line but now it's super half dead. When i push the button it still displays informations. Top "message part" and bottom "gear display part" still work. Anyone has any suggestion on how to fix that? I have a A2 1.2 TDi 3L 2001.

Here is a little video in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL42EYP11WE

Thank you very much

Hello,

Yesterday morning when I parked my car at work everything was working fine. When I left after work I realize that my cluster was not displaying any information anymore. I always had few dead pixels line but now it's super half dead. When i push the button it still displays informations. Top "message part" and bottom "gear display part" still work. Anyone has any suggestion on how to fix that? I have a A2 1.2 TDi 3L 2001.

Here is a little video in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL42EYP11WE

Thank you very much

Hi,

perhaps you have accidentally switched off the information part of the display? If you hold the reset button on the stalk for a few seconds it will switch off or switch on the display.
Try holding the reset button down (the button on the bottom part of the stalk) for a few seconds to see if it turns back on.

regards

Andrew

Oooooooohhhh..... Wow, I discovered a new button (two actually). I found this "reset" button on the under part of the wipers arm "stick, stalk". When you press it, it effectively swith on and off the display. Easiest fix ever on that car! thank you Andrew.

G

Hi,

perhaps you have accidentally switched off the information part of the display? If you hold the reset button on the stalk for a few seconds it will switch off or switch on the display.
Try holding the reset button down (the button on the bottom part of the stalk) for a few seconds to see if it turns back on.

regards

Andrew

Glad this is now resolved, but holding it down resets everything back to zero, just one normal press brings it back on. If you have SAT Nav through the display one press makes it go from the SAT Nav details to the "Normal details" a second press then switches the display off. A long press just resets the trip settings and average MPG etc.

Andrew was correct about the cause though and this has caught many people out, you are not alone!!

Steve B

Glad this is now resolved, but holding it down resets everything back to zero, just one normal press brings it back on. If you have SAT Nav through the display one press makes it go from the SAT Nav details to the "Normal details" a second press then switches the display off. A long press just resets the trip settings and average MPG etc.

Andrew was correct about the cause though and this has caught many people out, you are not alone!!

Steve B

Hi Steve,

thanks, yes, my explanation wasn't quite right as its automatic when I do it.

A short press of the button turns the display on and off which makes it easy to do accidentally.
A long press of the button as you have rightly said resets the counters (average speed, fuel consumption, driving time).

regards

Andrew

Glad to see I'm not the only one who had this "problem". I most say I felt a little stupid with my question when i saw the solution ;).

Thanks again, i'm happy it was that simple.

G

Back