HELP!! Can Anyone Diagnose This Awful Creak?

J3FVW

My A2 has developed a god awful creak when putting left hand full steering lock on and to a lesser extent when right hand lock is applied. The car drives perfectly and this sound is only audible when parking etc. at low speed but obviously I'm keen to get this one sorted ASAP for the sake of my sanity!:

https://youtu.be/6q3BOs646iQ

The video makes it sound much worse than it is but nevertheless it still isn't what I want to hear every day. Up here in Yorkshire there is a phrase that describes a gent who is careful with his money "he's that tight his trousers creak" - that's what it sounds like to meet!!!

I'm sure this is a common sign of a specific malady so any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Hi jeff it sounds to me like you either have a seized top mount bearing or a broken spring that is now scraping around the mount. If you get someone to turn the wheels whilst you watch the spring turn with the wheel on the front strut. It should turn smooth without twisting the spring. Hope that helps you out. cheers mike

Hi jeff it sounds to me like you either have a seized top mount bearing or a broken spring that is now scraping around the mount. If you get someone to turn the wheels whilst you watch the spring turn with the wheel on the front strut. It should turn smooth without twisting the spring. Hope that helps you out. cheers mike
Cheers Mike

I'll look at that tomorrow. I had my wife turning the wheel yesterday while I had my ear to the wheel arch and it was silent outside but noises inside. I'll look at the spring tomorrow in the daylight though - if it's a strip down of the suspension job I might as well give both sides an overhaul. Ouch!

It turns out the ns front spring is broken and doesn't sit correctly on the shock. As it's a strip down job I'm overhauling the entire front suspension as to just change the springs seems a false economy.

From Tom's thread above I have ordered all the relevent parts from Audi to do the job with the exception of the drop links, shocks, and springs. Buying genuine Audi was OTT price wise so I have opted for the following setup which will be installed in the next few weeks:

Meyle HD drop links
Bilstein B4 shock absorbers 22-105813
Bilstein B3 front springs 37-147662

I will post after the work as been done to report what difference it makes but in the meantime is anybody else running the same set up?

Back