1.6 fsi goes to limp mode on cold starts

VilleH

My 2002 1.6 fsi created strange problem roughly two months ago. After cold start (car has been standing more than 8 h) it will drive precise for 1 min and then go to limp mode. MIL and EPC -lights will go, but after restart the car can be driven again. It might go to limp mode quite immediately again after the restart, but after max 3 limp mode-restart cycles the problem disappears. After that you can drive the car as long you want without any issues. Also when you start the car when it has been driven few hours ago it will never go to the limp mode. There is nothing strange or unusual at any stage how to engine works or car drives. Only the limp mode makes noticeable change on progress.

Vag com has given these codes (not all of these has popped at the same time):

17796 - Internal Control Module Malfunction
P1388 - 35-00 - -
P1388 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0302 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
01314 - Engine Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent
01314 - Engine Control Module
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
01320 - Control Module for Climatronic (J255)
01760 - Power Steering Control Module (J500) No comm. with Engine Control Module (ECM)

I have cleaned earth points behind the left headlamp and inside L & R a-pillars. All fuses are OK. Car has new coils, plugs and battery. Filters and oil are just changed. Also intake manifold has been cleaned and injectors checked. Compartment where the ECU is located is dry and clean.

Any ideas what to try next or what causes this super annoying problem?

Last edited:
I think the control module malfuntion codes are most worrying, which codes are the most common to flash up once you drop into limp mode?

Without interrogating further, it would seem the ECM is at fault - especially if other modules are unable to communicate. It may be worth checking the ECM connector blocks for any signs of corrosion.

Nick

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Nick! I will re-check the ECM connectors to see if there is something suspicious.

Usually its this one that shows up after limp mode episode:

P1388 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I'm also a little bit worried that this could be actually ECM problem. Does these things have software bugs or is it always HW problems?

Inexpensive car with expensive problems gets you always motivated.

I think I found the problem finally: leaking coolant expansion tank! There is an electric connector in the expansion tank which had moisture/coolant inside. This might have cause short circuit etc. After replacing the tank the problem have not showed up. I also heard that this is common problem in this age VAG products.

Back