So I am looking for a fresh A2 , So?

johnyfartbox

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
There are quite a few out there after looking for the last 5 days or so but I have seen a few 2001......2003 TDIs that have lower than average millage. My Q is............on a lowish (for the year) car, apart from the obvious, history, MOT service history and such what else would YOU look for?

I have seen one that I just might go and look at over the weekend and its within my budget and its low millage but on a 2001 plate.

Im just looking at a 52 plate with working opensky...........................£999................but with 189,000 Miles..based in Barnsley

Don't be put off by the mileage, as long as it has a good service history and has been well looked after it'll do another 189k easily

Thats true..............but its things like the running gear ......suspension, clutch, wheel bearings, exhaust, the list goes on............but yes, I know what you mean.

Im just looking at a 52 plate with working opensky...........................£999................but with 189,000 Miles..based in Barnsley

I have a 1.4TDI with 283,000 miles, I know the cars history me being the third owner. The engine and gearbox are still good, but obviously with age and miles comes wear and tear

Things to look out for -
CV Joints - mine where cattery when you transitions from the engine pulling the car to the engine braking the car, cost me £60 for a complete set of 4 with grease, CV Boots, clips etc and was an half day job to fit them
Clutch - this was how I got my TDI, as the clutch release bearing had totally failed, but this was at 278,000 miles, so depending on how it as done the miles so far the clutch could be OK for some time et or may need changing soon, £114 for a LEK clutch kit plus £10 for the top hat and £15 for the cross arm and pivot bolt. I fitted it all myself, but it is a fairly major job to do yourself, most garages are around £300 to £400 labour plus the above parts.
Wheel bearings - I had a front bearing which was growling, replacement was £20ish, but you need a press or special tool to fit it (I borrowed a press), garage labour about £100
Front Struts - replaced these with FK ones made a massive difference to the ride, still got to find some rear shocks at reasonable price as when I took one off they are far from good :)
Brake discs, Pads, Drums, Shoes - normal service items really, mine had just had new discs and pads fitted before I got it, I bought new shoes, but the drums where well worn meaning that the wear adjustment was on full but the shoes were not near the drum, I'm on the lookout for a pair of drums, but the temp solution was to make a packing plate to fit over the shoe lower mounting point, effectively making the dia of the shoes larger, this worked perfectly and means the wear adjuster is back at one end and the shoes are near the drums, this means the handbrake bits on the second click and does need opensky in order to hold the A2 on a hill :)
Door locks - drivers side both door locks needs the solder re-flow trick to get the interior light and fuel flap to work (common issue)
Interior - cleaned up OK, mine is a hard touch on the buttons, I was not a fan of the light grey seats and light grey centre tunnel plastics, plus they wear showing lots of wear, so I have changed them to soul plastics and blue seats and matching door cards (car is dark blue paint) this cost me very little and brightened up the interior no end
Battery was changed at about 12 year old as was the starter motor all before I got the car
Car was regularly serviced every 12,000 miles, but I don't think he new were the airfilter was, as when I was doing the clutch I removed the airfilter box and after a lot of cursing managed to get the 2 screws out and the airfilter was BLACK and had rotten away at the bottom
Alloys where 2005 marked so had been changed at some point, they needed a refurb for cosmetic reasons

Parts which seem to go on forever -
Exhaust is original and looks to be in good condition
Body work and under car
rear suspension (although I did wire brush and paint it)
front suspension (bar the struts) although I replaced the lower ball joint boots as they were badly cracked £5 for four of ebay)
ABS
Power steering pump and rack
window winders (manual in the back)

Personally the mileage would not bother me, but I am handy with the spanners and therefore I only have parts cost to consider, if you add garage labour into it then the cost of refurbing my A2 would have got silly

Cheers,

How long have you had the new CV joints? Are they good? What brand are they? 60 pounds doesn't sound like a lot for all four. I probably need to replace mine, so am looking around.

im on the fence when it comes to opensky, its nice but it wouldnt put me off buying one without. i have one with opensky (mine) and one without but my wifes ex-demo (209000 miles) has more options than mine has, although mine has been modded with extras before i bought it from dan.

having all the goodies does make the car feel more premium and much better! your definitely buying one at the right time as a2's have hit low prices recently. so be patient and keep an eye out :)

as for mileage i agree with hass dont let this put you off.

my personal taste for mods include rear cup holder, leather seats lumbar support (heated if you can get them), double din (rsne), rear floor storage box and dis.

happy hunting for another a2 :D

cammy

How long have you had the new CV joints? Are they good? What brand are they? 60 pounds doesn't sound like a lot for all four. I probably need to replace mine, so am looking around.

They are JR brand, advertised regularly on ebay. Many on here have fitted them a few years ago and had no problems. I believe they fit a lot of the VW range, so made in large qty's hence the price
I am an engineer by trade and looking at them I could not see anything wrong with them, you could clearly see the bluing where the housing was locally hardened on the CV joint case, the boots were nice rubber and good fit, they fitted the hubs and the splines on the drive shaft nice and snug. I am not expecting anything to go wrong with them, well not for the next 10 years and 200K miles or so :)

Cheers,

Had a look at the A2 in Barnsley with Open-sky. Advertised as TDI but is petrol on MOT check. MOT is inconsistent at 2014?

Also that interior... you'd have to nuke it! :rolleyes:

As mentioned, mileage isn't crucial. You want history, lots of it, small number of owners and mint bodywork.

Last edited:
Back