can you do a reset of the G85 sensor using vagcom lite

depronman

A2OC Donor
Hi,
did a double din swap today and also replaced the steering angle sensor as I had been getting air bag warning light for a few weeks vagcom stated drivers side airbag resistance too high, error was triggered over bumpy roads only and could be cleared for hundreds of miles, or a couple of hundred yards. I figured this was most likely the slip ring (steering angle sensor) as the airbag is feed through this.
So I have changed it for a second hand sensor of an A2 FSI
The airbag light is off now, but the ABS and traction control lights are on, a scan reveals
1 Fault Found:
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
62-00 - No or Incorrect Adjustment

I have found a guide on rostech web site to calibrate the sensor, my question is can I do this with Vagcom lite

a. Start the vehicle.
b. Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
c. Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
d. If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight
e. Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
f. Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
g. Procedure for performing the zero position calibration for the Steering Angle Sensor on Audi A2 with Vag-Com:

[Select]
[03 - ABS Brakes]
[Login - 11]
Enter 40168
[Do It!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]

So does anyone know if you can do the above with VAGCOM Lite ???

Cheers.

I've been through this and found it's possible the centre of the steering angle sensor has been moved from the 'neutral' position. There is a window which should show a yellow dot but I seem to recall the sensor can be 360 deg out of alignment and still show the dot.

Using VCDS to show 'live' data I was able to see the angle change as I turned the wheel then spot the steering angle was way out when the wheel was straight ahead. Took the wheel off, spun the sensor 360 deg and everything worked with no need to go through the Basic Setting proocedure.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Paul,

Looking at this table is seems as though you can do Basic Settings with VCDS Lite but you need the registered version.

Steve

****** I only have the £10 ebay cable with VAGCOM409-1, looks like I need to find a member local to me with full VAGCOM
Thanks for the clarification

I've been through this and found it's possible the centre of the steering angle sensor has been moved from the 'neutral' position. There is a window which should show a yellow dot but I seem to recall the sensor can be 360 deg out of alignment and still show the dot.

Using VCDS to show 'live' data I was able to see the angle change as I turned the wheel then spot the steering angle was way out when the wheel was straight ahead. Took the wheel off, spun the sensor 360 deg and everything worked with no need to go through the Basic Setting proocedure.

Cheers Spike

Spike,
I have replaced the angle sensor with a second hand one, if I go to the ABS control module (03) using my VAGCOM lite not registered, in one of the measuring blocks I can see the steering angle change from -530 deg on full left lock to +530 deg on full right lock, and 0 degrees when the steering wheel is straight ahead, therefore I think the angle sensor is not 360deg out - would you agree ?

I am therefore slightly confused as to why the ABS and traction control lights are on and VAGCOM is showing 00778 error code

Any idea how to find a friendly member with full VAGCOM that is not to far away from me (assuming that I will need to get the basic setting done), I'm in St Annes, Nr Blackpool, Lancs
Many thanks for the help so far all

Cheers,

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I'm too far away from you to be of any help with a genuine VCDS, but I stongly suspect the original issue you mentioned with an airbag resistance being too high is going to be a loose connection and not a slip ring issue. Depending what the exact error code was, your issue is either going to be the airbag in the passenger seat or the airbag in the dashboard.
If the airbag problem only came to light since work on the dash, perhaps that is the issue, otherwise, it has been noticed a few times on these pages that the moving of either front seat all the way back can cause the connector under the seat to become dislodged or even cause a cable break.

That is where I'd be looking, rather than the slip ring.

Hope that helps a little
Cheers
Jeff

Paul,

The VCDS Wiki has a special note on code 00778 to indicate that you may be able to drive the car to initialise the sensor, perhaps you could try this first?

Steve

Hi Paul, you'd done far more background checks on the steering angle than I realised.
From your results I agree the sensor is correctly 'centred' and not 360' out.

Cheers Spike

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I'm too far away from you to be of any help with a genuine VCDS, but I stongly suspect the original issue you mentioned with an airbag resistance being too high is going to be a loose connection and not a slip ring issue. Depending what the exact error code was, your issue is either going to be the airbag in the passenger seat or the airbag in the dashboard.
If the airbag problem only came to light since work on the dash, perhaps that is the issue, otherwise, it has been noticed a few times on these pages that the moving of either front seat all the way back can cause the connector under the seat to become dislodged or even cause a cable break.

That is where I'd be looking, rather than the slip ring.

Hope that helps a little
Cheers
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
The Airbag warning light has been coming on for about 6 weeks, so nothing to do with the 2Din dash swap, I could reset the error code and it would always clear, but would come back after a few miles or sometimes a near a hundred miles, seemed to be more dependent on bumpy roads which set the warning far quicker. I have already checked the wiring under both seats, nut VAGCOM stated a DRIVERS side fault code, so I spent more time moving the loom about under the drivers seat with the engine running, wiggling the yellow connector under the seat, but I could never trigger a fault code doing this. Hence I thought about the angle sensor as the steering wheel airbag tracks through the angle sensor.
Thanks for your thought.
Cheers,

Well I sorted out the Angle sensor
Firstly to answer my own question, it would appear that the lite none registered version of VAGCOM will not do 'Basic Settings', it states only available in the registered version.
So, with various comments about the Airbag problem more likely to be a loose connection and not the Angle sensor, I replaced the old angle sensor, and low and behold the ABS light was still on, but VAGCOM was able to rest it as the fault had now changed to intermittent, it took two tries to reset the fault code, but is no showing no fault codes on the ABS and the ABS light is now off
Also the Airbag light is off ATM, but only time and bumpy roads will tell - I will report back in due course

Thanks all for the help

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure where I got the idea you mentioned the passenger side airbag from - clearly I'm loosing the plot.

Obviously being the drivers side airbag it means the airbag in the dash isn't a suspect.
I cannot remember if the steering wheel airbag is listed as "driver side" when a DTC is triggered, but that wording is certainly used to describe the seat airbag.

I would still suspect the issue to be an electrical problem that isn't the actual slip ring itself.
Did you save the original scan that showed the actual DTC - I'd be interested to view it.

Hopefully someone local to you has the full blown VCDS and can run the basic setting for you.
If you happen to be travelling anywhere near M1 J18 I'm happy to sort that for you, and if you were thinking about coming to the evening meal social on April 8th, I'll have my diagnostic equipment with me.

I'm a big fan of the things you're doing with your car, and the offerings you have made to other members regarding the 3D printing.
You capture the spirit of the forum well.

Cheers
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I don't think I saved the fault code as there was only one, so I simply noted down the information.

As I have posted above, with your guidance regarding the angle sensor being an unlikely culprit for the airbag warning light, I swapped back to the original Angle sensor, and after a couple of 'ABS remove fault code' clicks the fault code was removed (the big difference with the old angle sensor was the fault code stated 'intermittent', this appears to be why I could clear the fault code)
The Airbag warning light as not come on after a few miles around my house and my commute to and from work, this is looking good, but not definitive as sometimes the warning light would stay off for several hundred miles. I also changed the airbag unit as I had got one with the leather steering wheel which I fitted as part of the 2Din dash swap, so in summary and assuming the airbag warning light does not come back on, the airbag warning light could have been caused by the airbag itself or a loose connection, I guess only time will tell
I will update the post after a few hundred miles as it may help someone else in the future

Cheers,

Over a week and 200+ miles and the airbag light as not made a return, so I an quietly confident that the angle sensor was not the problem, it was either a loose/badly mated connector or the steering wheel airbag that had developed a fault. I changed the airbag when I did the 2Din dash swap as I was fitting a leather steering wheel and had the airbag that came with it.

I will monitor over time and report back in a few weeks with either good or bad news.

Cheers,

Back