Upholstry - trying something new.

Hello all. Two years ago I bought the blue beast(storm, 1.6FSI) and have had a lot of problems with her. However something happened and she grew on me like a fungus. Two weeks ago I bought another one, 1.4 Sport(very dark blue). I havent sold the beast so I have sorned the new one and decieded to get her up spec. The interior is not worn at all, just very dirty, so tonight I took one of the back seats out and am going to try and wash it. I have stripped it down and taken the cover off. Tomorrow, I will stick the top and bottom cover in the washing machine on a low heat, long wash and see how it does. If it works I will document the next seat as it was not a difficult task to strip the seat, just took a bit of time.

I've had very good results cleaning the seat with the covers on and ideally seats out of the car for better access using a VAX carpet and upholstery cleaner and stardrops cleaning solution 0.87p at home bargains, one bottle is more than enough to clean 4 seats (and the blue ones I got for my TDI where absolutely filthy, looked like a coal man who did a side line in truck mechanacing had driven the car for a couple of years, and the carpets

Success! Daily wash, 40C for 1h15m and the seat covers have come out a treat. They look brand new. I have taken some before pictures this evening and once reassembled I will take some afters as well. This process will take longer but I would wager that the results will be better than most if not all on-seat cleaning methods. The only probelm that I can see is replacing the staples that have been used. The open out and tie into the foam rubber of the seat. I don't know if I can duplicate this, I have some ideas and will let you know how I get on.

Yeah yeah, mock away you lot! I have a couple of pic's to show. SAM_0169.JPGSAM_0170.JPGSAM_0171.JPG
The first is of the rear seat frame. In order to take the seat out I had to collapse it. Then I could not expand it until I put it back. I will work it out next time. The second pic is what the front seat looks like now. The picture doesn't really show how dirty the seat is, it looks grotty. Finally, the foam from the seat that I have apart. The cover is drying now so I will show pics once I have put it all back together again.

When you refer to staples do you mean hog rings? These can be sourced or zip ties used instead.

Hi Paul. No, there are actual staples into the foam, but they are spread instead of folded in. I will take a pic tomorrow.

Got home this evening and put the seat back together. Not a difficult task but time consuming. Here are some pics:SAM_0173.JPGSAM_0174.JPGSAM_0175.JPGSAM_0176.JPG. The first one if for Paul, these are the staples I was talking about, Second pic shows where some are located. Third is base of the seat going back together and finally the cleaned cover on the seat itself. I'm really pleased with the result and if I do one a week then the interior will be looking good a month from now. Any questions or comments please feel free to say. Regards.

That looks splendid. I'll be taking some seats apart shortly to remove the heater elements and hopefully clean them as per your work. Great job, look brand new!

Thanks gents. This evening I took out the front passenger seat. Its probably the worst of the lot. Im hopeful thats it comes out well.

@russeleoin so no shrinkage? that is reassuring.
I'm sure your method is far superior to trying to launder a seat cover with the upholstery in place

Any chance of step by step photos for the next cover you remove and replace?

Andrew

I took my front seat covers off recently to install heated pads and clean the covers. Quick wash in the machine and they were perfect. Re-installation using a mixture of zip ties and hog rings.

Then last week, in a rainstorm, I had to open the window to talk to someone at the side of the road and I have water stains on the back and squab again :(

I took my front seat covers off recently to install heated pads and clean the covers. Quick wash in the machine and they were perfect. Re-installation using a mixture of zip ties and hog rings.

Then last week, in a rainstorm, I had to open the window to talk to someone at the side of the road and I have water stains on the back and squab again :(

Did you find installing the heated pads difficult, was it a retrofit of Audi parts of aftermarket?

Cheers.

J.

Hi Andrew. I have put togther a step by step guide to the Front seat stripdown. What is the best way to put it on here? Lots of photo's and words so it a lot of info. I have saved it as a Word Doc.
I can say that the seat has come out very well. Now I want to know if some sort of fabric protector is a good idea(Scotch Guard). I will do the drivers seat next.
Regards Russ

Last edited:
Hi Andrew. I have put togther a step by step guide to the Front seat stripdown. What is the best way to put it on here? Lots of photo's and words so it a lot of info. I have saved it as a Word Doc.
I can say that the seat has come out very well. Now I want to know if some sort of fabric protector is a good idea(Scotch Guard). I will do the drivers seat next.
Regards Russ

Hi,

You need one of the moderators to add it to the "How to" "Index" page.

Thanks for such a helpful post.

Steve B

Hi Russ. If you don't find a place for it I would appreciate an Private message with the info if poss as will be doing this in the next 2 days. Cheers.

Back