Gearbox - what fits what

depronman

A2OC Donor
Hi
Does anyone know the code letters for the 1.4 petrol gearbox 2002 model ?

Also will the gearbox from a 2003 FSI fit the 1.4 petrol, if it will fit is there any change of gear rations ? any problem with speedo etc

I've had a read through the 21 pages in the service and reapirs section, but not found much on petrol gearboxes
Google didn't pull anything up either

Thanks in advance

Hi Paul

Here's a list of all the A2 petrol gearboxes -

Cheers Spike

Attachments

• A2box.JPG
    A2box.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 641
  • A2box1.JPG
    A2box1.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 559
  • A2box2.JPG
    A2box2.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 623
  • A2box3.JPG
    A2box3.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 630
OK got back to this now

Looking at the 4 pages that Spike as very kindly provided it would appear that the gear ratios for all gears is identical across ALL the petrol gearboxes, the only difference being the final drive ration is very marginally different between the 1.4 and 1.6 gearboxes, the difference is extremely small, so small to be negligible in my opinion.

So the next question is the speedo drive - do all the gearboxes have the speedo drive ?

I need a gearbox for an 02 plate 1.4 petrol - is this likely to use the older gearbox speedo drive ?

The gearbox that I can get old of locally is from a 1.6 '03 plate' - will this still use the gearbox speedo drive or by this time had Audi moved to getting the speedo signal from the ABS wheel sensors

I don't want to get a gearbox and then discover a load of problems with the speedo

Are there any other difference that I should be aware of when fitting a 1.6 petrol gearbox in to a 1.4 petrol car which still as the 1.4 petrol engine ?

Apologies for so many question in a single post :)

cheers,

the big differences I'm aware of involve the precise positions of the mounts. I know of no 1.6 'boxes on 1.4 cars, anywhere.

Speedo drive is not on the box? I was under the impression it's from the wheels... kind of. I read it's from the 'box for a couple of things but the tacho appears to use ABS.

I'm not convinced the clutch and flywheel are the same size.

What's the problem with the old box? Input shaft bearing?

- Bret

im sure i read somewhere the 1.4 petrol gearbox housing components are made of magnesium , more lightweight .... Ive got all 3 types of gearbox , ie 1.4 , 1.6 petrol and diesel and a 6 speed gearboxe in my spares store , i can have a look see for you in the next few days at the output shafts and bellhousings ect and take as few picks if that may be of help to you

All petrol gearboxes are from the '02T' family so most parts should be interchangeable.

A slog through the parts lists could be the best way to work out which gearboxes are suitable and here's a good starting point - http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a2/a2/2002-248/3/301-301033/

On TDi gearboxes the plug in speedo drive changed mid 2002 so you may be lucky that your original box uses the ABS signal

Cheers Spike

PS, ref Timmus's post, the MK60 abs unit seems to be the trigger point for the revised speedo input - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...d-into-1-4-TDI-AMF-engine&p=267742#post267742
It refers to the TDi boxes but should carry over to petrol models

Last edited:
there was an incident (over on A2-freun.de) not too long back with someone who wanted / needed an EWQ and bought what he thought was an EWQ. Turned out it wasn't and the mount points were wrong. The family stays the same, yes, but it would surprise me if the bellhousings were all identical.

- Bret

Jigsaw,
Some picttures of the 1.4 and 1.6 petrol gearboxs would be excellent and would certainly help me to make an informed decision - thankyou

Last edited:
the big differences I'm aware of involve the precise positions of the mounts. I know of no 1.6 'boxes on 1.4 cars, anywhere.

Speedo drive is not on the box? I was under the impression it's from the wheels... kind of. I read it's from the 'box for a couple of things but the tacho appears to use ABS.

I'm not convinced the clutch and flywheel are the same size.

What's the problem with the old box? Input shaft bearing?

- Bret

I'm not 100% sure, I recovered the A2 tonight, so will be looking into the gearbox problem over the next few days, seller stated it was wining in 3rd gear, but he didn't have much of a clue what he was talking about - car was cheaper because of the gearbox issue :)

thanks Spike will have a proper read tomorrow - done a 260 mile round trip tonight to recover the A2, so a bit knackered now :)

Hi Paul I know this thread is a bit old now did you ever replace your gear box? it looks like the diff.on my FDM box is on its way out so I could be looking for a replacement I might be able to get one from an FSI it would be handy to know if it would fit.Thanks Andy

im sure i read somewhere the 1.4 petrol gearbox housing components are made of magnesium , more lightweight .... Ive got all 3 types of gearbox , ie 1.4 , 1.6 petrol and diesel and a 6 speed gearboxe in my spares store , i can have a look see for you in the next few days at the output shafts and bellhousings ect and take as few picks if that may be of help to you
Hello, I have an issue with the clutch on my 1.4 90bhp diesel and would like to change to a 6 speed box! Can you advise a suitable box and what mods are required?
Also, do you know anyone who could carry out the change?
Paulo

Hello, I have an issue with the clutch on my 1.4 90bhp diesel and would like to change to a 6 speed box! Can you advise a suitable box and what mods are required?
Also, do you know anyone who could carry out the change?
Paulo
MYP, PTW, PTU and one other one that I've forgotten the code for are known to work - so your start point is to try to find one box with these codes at an affordable price - which isn't always easy. There are several other threads here where this has been described in detail. @dj_efk ?

see - https://a2oc.net/community/index.ph...x-method-passat-11-onwards-myp-gearbox.25919/

You also need the starter motor from a 1.6tdi, and two small brackets need to be made to support the gearbox cable mounts as the mounting holes are slightly differerently-located on the 6-gear box.

Any info on cross-compatibility of 1.4 petrol AUA gearboxes? There are some FDM and and FVT gearboxes readily available, but are they a direct replacement for the EYX box that's currently on my car? I've opened a topic for this but so far no one seems to have any information on this matter.

TIA

Back