Just bought an A2 ... which only came with the spare key

atmo

Hi everyone. New to these parts!

Purchased an A2 today, but they only had the spare key and not the one with the remote.
Could anyone tell me how best go about getting a replacement, considering I don't know any of the details of the original? I found a lot of search results about remotes but mostly to do with issues relating to existing keys.

Thanks for any advice. Also, I'm in Dublin but will be in London next weekend if it makes any difference.

The vehicle:

OZLzTJx.jpg

Hello and welcome to a great and friendly club Atmo. Nice looking A2 !..... I am sure someone will be along shortly to help.....

Hi Atmo from a quick look at the pic i can see it has the non floppy windscreen wiper so from that it may be an early car that may not have come with remote locking or even a grey import (at the time of the early cars many people opted to buy from foreign dealers as the price was lots cheeper). In the boot there is a barcode sticker -- if you use the number there are web sites that decode that number and tells you the build spec of the car. But lets just hope it has and you need a key coding---this isn't easy or cheep if you go to audi. There are members that can do it for you and if your london bound you may find your close to a very helpful member that can sort you out. Cheers mike ill send the member a message for you.

There is a guy that I use that can cut you a key blade if you send him a couple of pictures of your key.

Then you need to look under the passenger floor and open and open the compartment there. Inside will be a black plastic control box about 8" wide. There will be a part number on that. It will have an alpha single or double code.
Sonething like AF or Q after the part number. That will tell us what type of remote key you need to look for.

You can buy a secondhand key fob from ebay etc.
Then the tricky bit. The key needs to be coded to your car (and then the immobiliser chip needs to be replaced with a new one and that coded to the car)

if you are coming anywhere near Heathrow I will be able to code the key and the immobiliser chip to your car.

So so if you really want to try to get a remote operation then have a look at the control unit part number and let us know.

Strve B

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I believe the car is Sept 2002.

Here's what I found in my passenger footwell:

I8GmAnp.png

What does this suggest?

Also, I'll be in London - but not with the car! I suppose it makes sense that you would need both.

Hi and welcome atmo my 2002 tdi75 also came with just the spare but i looked up a local garage in west Yorkshire near to me and went to see them they cut and coded me a key for £106 genuine audi key so worth checking locally youll be surprised all i had to show them was the car and the spare non remote key.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

You are probably right. Does anyone know if the box I have is compatible with a remote?

I'd say if it's got central locking and do the indicators flash when you lock it and hold the key left or right

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

You are probably right. Does anyone know if the box I have is compatible with a remote?

I suspect it is compatible because the 433 indicates the frequency of the remote sender / receiver (I believe)
But I am not familiar with the "S" at the end.

Steve B

Last edited:
i googled the part number and the results were positive it would have remote locking. Hope you can get a key and someone to code it for you. Anyone know of any companies near this A2 owner? cheers and good luck mike

Hi
having read this thread in the archives http://www.a2oc.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-24354.html I would say before you spend any money on new keys and coding definitely checking at a dealer or using as Mike (A2Sumo) mentioned earlier one of the online Audi code checkers to come firm the cars spec. Whilst the article does suggest that all UK cars came with remote locking, the car in the article from Barcelona had an a CCCU with an S code that didn't have remote locking.

I wasn't able to find a barcode in the boot / spare wheel well, presumably something like this. Possibly disposed of by a previous owner.

However, I did find a thread which suggested putting the VIN into myaudi.com. Having done that, the equipment list for the car notably mentions central locking but no remote. Honestly this is quite a surprise, since the original owner specced OSS, cream leather interior, false floor ... but wasn't interested in a remote?

I'm waiting to receive the logbook in the mail from the dealer, maybe that will give some more insight.

I wasn't able to find a barcode in the boot / spare wheel well, presumably something like this. Possibly disposed of by a previous owner.

However, I did find a thread which suggested putting the VIN into myaudi.com. Having done that, the equipment list for the car notably mentions central locking but no remote. Honestly this is quite a surprise, since the original owner specced OSS, cream leather interior, false floor ... but wasn't interested in a remote?

I'm waiting to receive the logbook in the mail from the dealer, maybe that will give some more insight.

Yes, that is the sticker you are looking for.

It should also be on the inside cover of your service book.

Steve B

Well I finally found the sticker, and the decoder gave me bad news -

4F1 = Central locking system
5D0 = Without carrier frequency

Is that it then, dead end?

Maybe @timmus can help you - he offers CCCU replacement services. I'd think another control unit (probably the ...N version with 5D1 carrier frequency) and an antenna-wire connected to it, should allow radio remotes to work.

have you actually checked the letter on the CCCU fitted to the A2, top module in the passenger foot well, letters can be seen once the aluminium panel is removed from under the carpet

please cost the contents of the label on the CCCU, I'm sure Timmus will advise the remote key operation is possible with the current CCCU, and /or if a replacement CCCU will allow remote

Cheers,

Back