12V/cigarette lighter to mains adapter?

tagscuderia

Hi, my car's cigarette lighter doesn't work and having suffered several tyre issues of late, I'm a bit fed up of having to go to a garage to inflate them. Can anybody recommend an adapter or tell me if it's a bad idea? There are a couple on Ebay and Amazon but... quality is anybody's guess.
Many thanks,
from a deflated Tom.

I would consider replacing the original with a used one or firstly check the wiring.... Sarge or A2Steve may have one ?. I have no technical skills whatsoever but if you pull hard on the handbrake surround leather grip it will release forward over the button. Its then just a case of lifting up the black plastic cover at the back of the handbrake and drawing it over the handbrake lever. The wiring underneath this cover to the lighter is then accessible and can then be visually checked for anything loose.

If the lighter is faulty you will then also be able change it after disconnecting the wires.

I managed to do it but I would advise buying the black plastic housing with the lighter already in it.... I seem to remember it was difficult to release.

Cheers
Dave:)

Last edited:
Have you checked the fuse? Also you should get your tyres sorted if you're having issues, they're a main safety feature of your car.

Surely you will need to get the cigarette lighter socket fixed or the mains adapter will not get any power.

And if you fix it you can use the inflators again.

The mains converter won't give you anything that you don't already have, I.e. A tyre inflator.

And as has been mentioned fixing your tyres is the first step surely?

StevevB

Tom,

Let me know if you work out if its actually a damaged 12v socket (cigarette lighter) as I have a spare in my garage fitted in a Soul Black plastic dome/housing which you can have FOC. All I would ask for is to pay the postage which shouldn't be too much at all.

Kind regards,

Tom

Rest assured guys, I take tyres very seriously! :p
I buckled a 17" alloy to the degree that it wouldn't hold pressure (50MPH, big pothole!), thankfully I have a 15" steel spare. I then got a puncture but it was 2 days before I'd planned to switch to my winter set, good timing for once. I've since had a valve replaced on my winter set but last check, both N/S tyres were lower than the O/S but by the same amount :confused: . About to buy 4 new summer tyres, hopefully I have better luck with those!

I digress, the plan was to use the compressor off mains power. I could use a foot-pump but... I'm lazy. Obviously that's just for at home.

@2work, Hi Tom, if I could that would be amazing! My lighter physically broke allowing it to spin which in turn caused the ring LED to short and fry my instrument cluster. And then a brand new DIS cluster too! Definitely needs replacing so I'd be hugely grateful.

Thanks to everybody else for replying as well, greatly appreciated.

Hi Tom,

PM sent regarding the dome handbrake housing containing the working lighter.

Kind regards,

Tom

Morning Tom,

I need you to respond to my PM so I can send you the handbrake dome/housing with lighter. I'm busy after lunch today and doubt I'll get to the postoffice before Tuesday.

Please let me know if you no longer require the part so I can place it back in storage.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the PM, replying now.
P.S, out of interest, does anyone know of a good 12V to mains adapter?
Cheers, Tom.

Hi Calico, that's what I've been doing and found this one but... the specs don't match. The Audi compressor (which has blown fuses on other cars) states 15A, 180W. I can't find a converter that supports that :(.

you could fit a 12v accessory socket in the boot and cable it direct from battery with 20 a inline fuse connected and using 20amp cable

I'd never thought of that, thanks for the suggestion. If simply switching out the cigarette lighter doesn't work, I may well do that. Cheers.

Back