Why did my power steering fuse pop?

Akeel

Well yesterday before I set off driving the power steering stopped working , the oil light came on and the rev counter also stopped. after doing some digging today manage to trace it back to a big 80Amp fuse located in the passenger footwell my question is why did it go pop ??

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

That happened to mine, and I lost the speedo too.

It was looked into by WOM, but no obvious reason found. I did have some oil leaks spraying oil all over the place as a possible cause (since repaired), but Marcus & Rob suggested (as far as I can understand it) that it might be because it shares a circuit with a number of sensors, mine needed the G65 replacing which also resides on that circuit.

Either way, they replaced the fuse, but it would just go again. After cleaning up the engine compartment, fixing the oil leaks, disconnecting and reconnecting different sensors and components, there was no obvious reason. But, after doing so, and replacing the G65, something they did/touched fixed it and all is back to normal.

Replaced the fuse and it's still not working , thanks for that darkhorse

Check and re attach earth point behind the left hand headlamp - there is also one behind one of the kick panels near your feet but for the life of me can't remember what side of the car it is. Are you battery terminals tight and corrosion free? Is the battery good? Hope these points help and good luck. Cheers Mike

Cars back on I pulled the fuses out and put them back in still no steering thanks guys for the info I'll have a good look now whilst the weathers good

I thought that if the fuse has blown, then it won't work again, it needs to be replaced. Is it fuse 38?

The cars started but the steering is not working I replaced the big fuse under the passenger footwell 80 amp one because it was blown it's linked to the steering some how but the steering is still not active

Yes I replaced fuse 38, after trying everything I went and got another power steering pump fitted it on and tested all was fine but then as I was building the front end up the pump started to smoke so I quickly took the fuse out , I'm gutted it took me all day to change over the pump and for it to burn out , what could this be and what can I try to fix it , I rely on my car for work and really need advice on how to fix this

And could it be the G65 aircon pressure sensor smoking?

It's located in front of the radiator. You can see it.

My car had the same faults, fixed recently. One of the issues was a faulty g65. Probably a good idea to get it scanned and see if it throws up a fault.

If you get really stuck, maybe give WOM automotive a call. They're just down the road in Stoke. They fixed mine.

Hi Akeel, have you fixed yours?

Mine just went again. Same fuse. Same problems. No idea what the problem is now.

Hi folks,

In haste, as I've got lots to do before I leave home tomorrow morning for a few weeks...

Circuit 38, for a basic TDI (without a vast array of optional extras) feeds the following:
G22 speedo drive (top of gearbox)
N280 (from memory, is this the one connected to the aircon compressor?)
G65 (just behind the aircon radiator)
E87 (the climate control unit itself)
G266 (the oil level/temp sensor in the sump)
E3 (the hazard warning switch above the cup holders)
J500 (the power steering control unit, attached to the power steering pump)

If you've got heated seats or an auto-dimming mirror or factory telephone prep or OEM parking sensors, etc, then these are also fed from fuse 38. But, given that we've got two cars with the same problem, I'd guess it's a component that's common to all TDIs that's the cause of the fault. I hope I've listed all the possible culprits above, but in my rush I could have missed something. I doubt this is a wiring loom issue because a) they're almost unheard of and b) you've both got exactly the same problem. I could be wrong, of course, but I'd start by looking at the devices fed by fuse 38 rather than the wiring.

With a bit of methodical trial and error, you will find the problem. Unplug stuff, soak test, plug stuff in, soak test, etc. You may chew a few fuses in the process, but nothing that was made by man cannot be fixed by man. :)

Good luck!

Tom

PS: I'm almost totally booked-up for the next 4 or 5 week, but I am willing to have a go at solving this.

Last edited:
I have seen this problem on 2 vehicles I've worked on - both TDi 90's.

Both occasions the G65 sensor was at fault.
Replacement cured the fault.

Removal of the connector at the G65 and then repalcement of the fuse proves the sensor.

Cheers
Jeff

Back