chorus 2 info

rosiedog

A2OC Donor
Is a chorus 2 with CD player a straight swap for the earlier model ?
any help this would be appreciated. Many thanks Graham.

I don't believe it is a straight swap, as the earlier model cars are none canbus to the radio, however the later cars (which had the chorus 2 head unit) are canbus to the radio.

From memory I kind of remember read a thread on here about the need for a canbus emulator on the earlier cars to turn on/off the head unit which was designed to have the canbus signal.
I may be remembering this wrong as I was not particular interested as I was not about to do this particular retro fit

I don't believe it is a straight swap, as the earlier model cars are none canbus to the radio, however the later cars (which had the chorus 2 head unit) are canbus to the radio.

From memory I kind of remember read a thread on here about the need for a canbus emulator on the earlier cars to turn on/off the head unit which was designed to have the canbus signal.
I may be remembering this wrong as I was not particular interested as I was not about to do this particular retro fit

Paul is correct, and here's an old thread with more detail - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...o-fit-an-A2-1-4-SE-(2001)&p=116570#post116570

Cheers Spike

Hi folks,

Indeed, a Generation 2 stereo (Concert II, Chorus II, Symphony II, RNS-E, etc) cannot be fitted to an early A2 in a simple plug-n-play manner.
Whilst an emulator can be used, this isn't a particularly elegant solution. Instead, the existing CAN network can be expanded such that earlier A2s are able to 'host' later stereos. I've performed this upgrade on many early A2s, primarily to get around the Generation 1 volume control issue.

Is a chorus 2 with CD player a straight swap for the earlier model ?
any help this would be appreciated. Many thanks Graham.

It depends what you mean by "earlier model". Have a look at the car's VIN at the base of the windscreen. If there's a '1' in front of the 'N', then you'll have compatibility issues. If there's a '2' or higher number in front of the 'N', then you ought to be OK.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Back