Boring Tyre Query!

CwK80

Hey folks... apologies for not being on here for a long time.

But I have a boring tyre question/query to ask!

My car has gone through the MOT with an advisory on 3 of the tyres. Both rear tyres and the NS front have cuts on the tyre wall.
The NS front has a very slow puncture because of it. But annoyingly they all still have lots of tread.

So i thought id go online and price up either a pair or a full set.

This is the query :)

On my 16" 6 spoke alloys they have 205 50 R16's but when I go online and enter the reg number they come up at 185 50 R16's.

So that got me thinking that the tyre websites may not be 100% correct? As I thought the 185's wouldn't fit the width of the alloy!

Has anyone come across the same issue before purchasing new tyres? I'll buy the same tyre spec that are already on there but I really
just wanted some clarification or opinion as the A2 is a bit of a rare breed :D

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Kind regards

Chris

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Is your A2 currently fitted with the standard 16" SE wheels as shown in your profile picture?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Chris,

The 185/50/R16 tyres are the standard and correct size for the A2 16" SE alloys and they do fit.

Cheers
Dave:)

Thank you for the quick responses... Yeah the wheels are the SE 6 spoke 16" alloys.

I'm now wondering why 205/50's have been fitted and not the 185/50's.

So really I should change them if they are not the correct fit?

Cheers Chris

audi_a2.jpg

Last edited:
The 185/50/R16 tyres are the standard and correct size for the A2 16" SE alloys and they do fit.

Yeah the wheels are the SE 6 spoke 16" alloys.

I'm now wondering why 205/50's have been fitted and not the 185/50's.

So really I should change them if they are not the correct fit?

Dave is right; 185/50/16 was the tyre size at factory.

I'd put money on someone having changed them with a view to getting greater comfort. The A2 is renowned for its harsh ride, so many people have played with wheel sizes, tyre sizes and suspension changes in order to smoothen things out a little.
Personally, if I had the 16" SE wheels on my car, I'd fit 185/55/16. They fit without issue and are no wider than standard (good for fuel economy) but their extra height increases comfort considerably and results in a speedo that's bob-on rather than slightly optimistic.

Cheers,

Tom

Or 195/50-16 or even 195/55
Higher sidewall too, and a little extra rubber width to protect the rim.

Check prices as they depend on the "popularity" of the different sizes. They can vary greatly.

I've just gone through all this with my A2. Settled on 195/50 R16 in the end for price and availability. The extra width and height fill the wheel arch better and give a slight chunkiness to the tyres which I like.

Found Dunlop Sport BluResponse in that size for £78 each, pricy but they're quiet, comfortable and grippy!

My car had 185/50 R16 originally.

Cheers,

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 195/50 R16 and use Kumhos

I keep wanting to change (for no real reason) but the price I get offered makes it a no brainer, £55 a corner fully fitted

The last around 25k miles on the front, rears is more an age thing as they never seem to wear

Cheers everyone :)

I had them changed to 185/50 R16's. Cost me about £44 a corner, fitted, etc. I only do between 2500-3000 miles a year so I don't need expensive/premium tyres as such.
Plus I don't need to use it for commuting as work is only a 10 minute walk :) Bonus keeping the mileage down on the A2 :)

Cheers once again for the responses :)

Regards
Chris

I just can't believe the price difference for the same piece of rubber.

I ordered the same Dunlops for the R15 pepper pots I just bought. But 195/50. All four fitted came to £206.60 at National Tyres, also managed to get a 10% discount on that works out at £46.50/corner.

I've just gone through all this with my A2. Settled on 195/50 R16 in the end for price and availability. The extra width and height fill the wheel arch better and give a slight chunkiness to the tyres which I like.

Found Dunlop Sport BluResponse in that size for £78 each, pricy but they're quiet, comfortable and grippy!

My car had 185/50 R16 originally.

Cheers,

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back