Advice with replacement steering wheel please

leehallum

A2OC Donor
Hi guys,

I am hoping someone can please advise me on a query I have with a steering wheel that I was thinking of using to replace my current A2 3 spoke one.

I bought this wheel from a chap on ebay who said it was a single stage airbag wheel from a 2005 A3 and would fit onto an A2. It arrived today and now im certainly no expert but can straight away see two plug holes through the back of the wheel into what I assume is the back of the airbag/s one coloured green and one red. Does this mean it is in fact a dual airbag wheel?

If so is there anyway of fitting this safely to my A2 and if so what would I need to do/ talk to my chap at the garage about doing, so its fitted safely.

Or shall I abandon the plan of fitting this and just send it back to the guy I bought it from?

I dont really want to do anything that is going to risk my airbag not working properly

stwheel.jpg

Hi guys,

I am hoping someone can please advise me on a query I have with a steering wheel that I was thinking of using to replace my current A2 3 spoke one.

I bought this wheel from a chap on ebay who said it was a single stage airbag wheel from a 2005 A3 and would fit onto an A2. It arrived today and now im certainly no expert but can straight away see two plug holes through the back of the wheel into what I assume is the back of the airbag/s one coloured green and one red. Does this mean it is in fact a dual airbag wheel?

If so is there anyway of fitting this safely to my A2 and if so what would I need to do/ talk to my chap at the garage about doing, so its fitted safely.

Or shall I abandon the plan of fitting this and just send it back to the guy I bought it from?

I dont really want to do anything that is going to risk my airbag not working properly

View attachment 27608

My advice is to avoid this change,

I paid a LOT of money to get the 2012 A3 / TT MFSW that definitely had a single stage airbag and had it fitted by experts.

When it comes to airbags, the only way that you can be sure if it will work is when you have a crash and nobody wants that!

Yes if the airbag goes off you can feel quite smug that it was ok, but if the airbag fails to go off I am not sure that you will be able to feel ANYTHING!

If in doubt - Leave it out

Steve B

Thanks Steve, definitely sound advice! I will send this one back and look for an alternative.

Am I right in thinking that the more modern wheels that are single stage and can be fitted to an A2 are the A1 And A3 8v type steering wheels?

Thanks

Lee

Yes they need to be 2012 onwards (if I remember correctly)

I had mine fitted by Hazzydayz

steve B

Thanks Steve, definitely sound advice! I will send this one back and look for an alternative.

Am I right in thinking that the more modern wheels that are single stage and can be fitted to an A2 are the A1 And A3 8v type steering wheels?

Thanks

Lee
If any help Lee, and only if you want to stick with a standard sports wheel, the A2 sports wheel is the same part no as the mk1 TT wheel so helps widen your search a little, I managed to get a new TT one last year from old stock and put in my A2 but they are definitely cheaper on fleebay than the amount people ask for A2 steering wheels, btw the dsg wheel with paddles is no good obviously or the standard automatic TT wheel with gear change on the airbag, if you have a standard A2 sport airbag this fits the TT wheel too so keep it looking oem!
Cheers Jeff

Back