Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear linkage adjustment

Gear linkage adjustment

Is there anyone who knows how to do this happy to help me out.

Currently driving without power steering, and now I can't get the car to go into third or fifth without double de-clutching.

Spent all my money fixing the car and can't believe my luck. Just would be helpful to be able to change great smoothly and focus on turning the car!

It is easy enough and there is even a you tube video showing how to do it.

It is all done with the car on the ground and no special tools (apart from a bent rod of the right diameter)

This should help

Gearchange cable adjust / reset

Steve B

3. Users that liked this post:

DarkHorse (09-03-2017)

Cheers Steve. I've looked into it before but been rather scared to cause any damage/make a mistake.

I'll have a read through the thread. Any idea what size rod I need?

He says 5mm pin in the video. I heard the tighter the pin, the better the adjustment, so if you could confirm that I'd really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
    He says 5mm pin in the video. I heard the tighter the pin, the better the adjustment, so if you could confirm that I'd really appreciate it.
    The pin needs to lock the gearstick firmly without play and so that is the aim, if you can get a tighter fit and so, less play. Then that is fine.

Steve B

7. Users that liked this post:

DarkHorse (09-03-2017)

Ok thanks. I was just wondering if anyone used 5.5mm or if 5mm is the best to go for. I'll stick with what he says for now unless I hear otherwise.

i use a 5mm drill bit , just wrap loads of tape around the cutting end of the drill bit as it will drop all the way through if theres nothing to stop it, the hardest , or longest part of the job is removing the center console as takes awhile , then about a minute to do the adjustment , all the drill bit does is hold the gear leaver in the correct position , then with the gear box peg inserted you just twist the lockers on the cable adjusters and it all locks in place , release the gearbox locking pin , pull the drill bit and have a check of all the gears , quick test drive and reassemble, but advisable to give all the gearbox linkages a good wd40 ing or lubricating as this can also cause the issues your experiancing if the mechanisms are dry ...
    Audi A2 TDI SE , Working sky , Bose , Dis , rear electric windows , Red leather .... Daily Driver

Audi A2 1.4 16valve

AUDI A2 SE 1.4TDI dirty diesel dog, Rebuild in progress , next stage custom stainless manifold and VNT Turbo

Project A2 Quattro Twin bike Engined Transplant, custom paintwork, bodykit front and rear bumper update with A6 sport Grill .

10. Users that liked this post:

DarkHorse (09-03-2017)

I can confirm 5mm is the Dia you need, you will not even get 5.1mm Dia in
    If using a drill bit n=make sure it as not been chewed up in the drill chuck and that if the size is stamped on the drill shank that this stamping is not raised (increasing the Dia)

Also when you get to the point of inserting the pin have a good look at the nylon ball at the bottom of the gear stick, it tends to get covered in rubber bits from the gear stick cover (the rubber rots on every A2 I have ever worked on), a good cleaning of the nylon ball to remove all the rubber makes the gear change soooo much better. I also lubed the ball with silicon grease spray. It is also work lubing the cables from the engine bay into the car, but this is a pain to get to, aerosol with a long pipe on the end helps a lot.
    Be wary of trying to moving the gear change at the gearbox end once the black plastic locking pin is in place, the pin is PLASTIC and you can shear the end of the pin if you force the gear change on the box with the pin in place.

Also beware of having the cable pulled or pushed when you release the locking collars, you want neither tension or compression on the cables when you release the locking collars

Once adjusted the gear change is a pleasure to use
    Paul (Depronman)
    1.4 TDI 2001 287,347 miles and still going strong

12. Users that liked this post:

DarkHorse (09-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    I also lubed the ball with silicon grease spray. It is also work lubing the cables from the engine bay into the car, but this is a pain to get to, aerosol with a long pipe on the end helps a lot.
    I have some high quality chain lube for my bicycle, could I use that for greasing? http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Finish-Line-...FawW0wodyIQNDw

I've got the same problem. Where do u get the locking pin from for the gearbox end or can u make something

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk