Rear lights arrangement/function

Hello everyone.
I don't usually write on here but often enough check it for great tips and inspiration so firstly thanks everybody for their input.

Now for the subject matter; yesterday i swapped a passenger side rear light cluster since my girlfriend managed to ram it into the gas meter cowling in the drive on Friday... MOT next Tuesday, typical!

Anyhow... the unit i swapped mine with was different to mine. It had the top opening plugged with a blanking disc and no light bulb there. Mine was open and with a light bulb.
I removed the blanking cap on the new unit and fitted my old bulb.
On testing the system that top light never comes on.
I take it is for the fog light in European countries. The fog light comes on in the driver side top light bulb only.
Now the questions are:
Is the top light bulb passenger side fitted to you car and does it come on? If yes when?
Also, if my theory is correct, why did my original light was fitted with it if it has always been a UK car? I can't recall whether that light ever came on before.
Any input is appreciated to solve this mystery...

Thank you
Giorgio

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

There is only ever one fog light on an A2 (unless you have had the mod that Timmus did for me, to have two)

so it is perfectly normal to only have one and even though I have never seen a blanking plug used, it might be that I simply haven't noticed it.

Are you sure that your car was not a European import? (it would say on the log book "V5" document)

Steve B

There is only ever one fog light on an A2 (unless you have had the mod that Timmus did for me, to have two)

so it is perfectly normal to only have one and even though I have never seen a blanking plug used, it might be that I simply haven't noticed it.

Are you sure that your car was not a European import? (it would say on the log book "V5" document)

Steve B
Hi Steve.

I bought it from Jeff in Essex years ago. Not an import no, and i know also legally is only one fog light required at the back. I wonder why there was a light bulb up there in that top passenger cluster of mine for.

Hi Steve.

I bought it from Jeff in Essex years ago. Not an import no, and i know also legally is only one fog light required at the back. I wonder why there was a light bulb up there in that top passenger cluster of mine for.

He may have had the same modification that I had? With BOTH rear fogs operational.

Steve B

bulbs are frequently in place but they don't work unless you connect them up. Nothing untoward on this at all as far as I'm concerned.

- Bret

Hi Steve.

Hi Georgio,
Good to hear you are still enjoying the car you bought from me,
Just to clarify I didn't have any mods done on that car, everything was standard, I must check my lights now as I'm intrigued!
Cheers Jeff

Hi Georgio,
Good to hear you are still enjoying the car you bought from me,
Just to clarify I didn't have any mods done on that car, everything was standard, I must check my lights now as I'm intrigued!
Cheers Jeff
Cheers Jeff. Sorry haven't been in touch much, but yes the little A2 is definitely enjoying a pampered life other than this accident.
Thanks
G

It may well have been one of the cars I've worked on too - done plenty of twin rear fog upgrades over the years. Was there any wiring going to the appropriate pin on that side? It'd normally be a solid yellow wire if I'd done it.

Back